Labourer touches wet wire, electrocuted in Delhi factory
A 27-year-old labourer was electrocuted to death while working in a factory in outer Delhi’s Narela on Saturday morning.delhi Updated: Aug 13, 2016 22:04 IST
A 27-year-old labourer was electrocuted to death while working in a factory in outer Delhi’s Narela on Saturday morning.
Police said Ratnesh Kumar from Kannauj, Uttar Pradesh, was working at a plastic granule factory in Narela’s F Block, when he accidentally stepped on a live wire. As he was barefoot, he suffered an electric shock.
“His colleagues saw him lying unconscious and rushed him to Raja Harish Chander Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival. His body has been sent for a postmortem examination to know the cause and time of death. His family has been informed about the incident,” a senior police officer said.
Police suspect water seeped inside the factory after heavy rain on Friday evening and touched the live wires. “Kumar must have stepped onto the wet live wire and got electrocuted and died,” a senior police officer said.
The police registered a case of negligence and started investigation.
Locals said that most factories were shut on Saturday and not many people were around in the morning when the incident took place.
“Usually, it is a busy area and many labourers work here. But on Saturday morning, there were just a few people around. Kumar could have been saved if someone had spotted him earlier,” a local resident said.
As part of their investigation, the police have summoned the owner of the building. “How can the owner have allowed live wires to casually lie around inside his factory? Since it rained, the floor was wet and the roof was leaking. We have summoned the owner of the building and a case of negligence has been registered. We have also recorded statements of other workers in the factory,” a senior police officer said.