Major rail accidents in India since 1985
Two train crashes over the weekend in India left 63 dead and 200 injured.delhi Updated: Jul 11, 2011 11:58 IST
The following are some of the most serious train accidents in India over the past 25 years.
The worst accident on the nation's massive rail network was in 1981 when a train plunged into a river in the eastern state of Bihar, killing up to 800 people.
- Feb 23, 1985: Around 100 die when a train catches fire near Kolkata.
- July 8, 1988: A train derails in the southern state of Kerala, claiming 105 lives.
- April 16, 1990: A train catches fire near Patna, the capital of the eastern state of Bihar, leaving around 100 dead.
- Aug 20, 1995: 305 die and 344 are injured in a collision between two trains in Ferozabad, near the northern town of Agra.
- Sept 14, 1997: At least 100 die and more than 200 are injured when five wagons fall into a river in the central state of Madhya Pradesh.
- Nov 26, 1998: At least 209 die in a collision between two trains in Punjab.
- Aug 2, 1999: 285 are killed and 312 injured in a collision between two trains in Gaisal in the eastern state of West Bengal.
- Sept 10, 2002: 130 people die when the Rajdhani Express linking Kolkata to New Delhi plunges into a river in Rafiganj in the eastern state of Bihar.
- Oct 29, 2005: At least 113 people die when a passenger train derails and topples into swirling floodwaters in the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh.
- May 28, 2010: At least 146 die in a derailment blamed on Maoist saboteurs in West Bengal. A Mumbai-bound high-speed passenger express from Kolkata veers off the tracks into the path of an oncoming freight train.
- July 19, 2010: At least 63 die and more 160 are injured when an express train heading for Kolkata ploughs into the back of another train around 200 kilometers (125 miles) north of Kolkata.
- July 10, 2011: At least 63 die and 100 are injured after a packed express train, travelling from Kolkata to New Delhi, derails at high speed in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.
More than 100 people are injured when a passenger train derails in the northeastern state of Assam, as the result of a suspected bomb attack by separatist rebels.
First Published: Jul 11, 2011 11:56 IST