Murder of DU alumnus remains a mystery | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Murder of DU alumnus remains a mystery

The Delhi police are still looking for answers to solve the mysterious death of a 20-year-old girl inside a police compound. The have dismissed family’s allegation against a suspect, reports HT Correspondent

delhi Updated: Dec 09, 2009 23:57 IST
HT Correspondent

The police are still looking for answers to solve the mysterious death of a 20-year-old girl inside a police compound.

Neha Jindal’s burnt body was found in the backyard of their official residence behind the Sarai Rohilla Police Station in North Delhi on Tuesday.

Her mother is a Delhi Police sub-inspector. The post-mortem examination of the body is yet to be conducted but the police believed it's a case of murder and not suicide, as suspected earlier.

Jindal, a Delhi University graduate, was preparing for her MBA examination.

Parents’ version:

Neha’s father Shyam Sunder Jindal said his daughter was fine when he came back from his electronic shop in Trinagar on Tuesday.

“I came home around 6:00 p.m. Around the same time my younger daughter left for her tuition classes. I told Neha that I am going to pick up her mother, who is posted at the Parliament,” he said.

He said when he came back, the front door was open and the house was ransacked.

Kuldeep Singh, the victim’s uncle, said, “My brother then went to the back of the house and saw something burning. It took him some time to realise it was his daughter’s body.”

The family is also claiming that Rs 60,000 was missing from the house. The family said their daughter was killed by someone who was threatening the family for some time.

“My brother has been getting threatening calls from a person. We reported the matter to the police twice but nothing has come of it. We believe that it was him who killed Neha,” said the victim's uncle.

Police’s version:

The police are waiting for the post-mortem examination report before coming to any conclusions. “A panel of four doctors from LNJP Hospital has been set up. We will take action after they come out with a report,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Sagarpreet Hooda.

But the police have refuted some of the claims by the family. “The house was not ransacked. We are still verifying if their claim that Rs 60,000 is missing from the house is true,” said a senior police officer on condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to media.

The police are also investigating whether it was a case of a botched up love affair.

The police also found a few burnt pieces of paper near the dead body. “It seems that somebody tried to burn the evidence. We have sent it to the forensic lab,” added the officer.

The police have dismissed the speculation that there is a link with the threat calls the family used to receive. “We have questioned the person who used to call and allegedly threaten the family. We have not been able to find any link with the murder so far,” the officer added.