No demolition of JJ clusters: MCD to HC
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi has assured the Delhi High Court that it would not launch any drive to demolish hutments (jhuggi-jhopri clusters) in illegal colonies on its land.delhi Updated: Jun 22, 2012 00:04 IST
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi has assured the Delhi High Court that it would not launch any drive to demolish hutments (jhuggi-jhopri clusters) in illegal colonies on its land.
“The counsel for MCD has stated that till the next date of hearing, the MCD is not taking any demolition as alleged,” a vacation bench of justices, Veena Birbal and Manmohan Singh said and fixed the matter for hearing by a regular court on September 20.
The response of the civic agency came on a PIL by Jhuggi Jhopri Ekta Manch, an NGO that works on housing rights for slum dwellers, alleging that the MCD officials recently went to Arjun Das Cluster in East Kidwai Nagar with bulldozers to raze around 450 shanties.
The PIL said, “the right to shelter is a fundamental right, as declared by the Supreme Court in several judgements” and it cannot be denied to the slum dwellers.
Earlier in 2009, the MCD had undertaken a demolition drive in JJ clusters and had razed some shanties without any notice to the residents, saying that the land was needed for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, the petition said.
“No effort was made to provide rehabilitation for the residents prior to or after the demolition. While the MCD verbally informed some residents that the area was required for the Commonwealth Games, nothing has been done with the land till date and many residents have continued to live there,” it said.
First Published: Jun 22, 2012 00:02 IST