No MCD document on the collapsed building
Amritpal Singh Sachdeva is in police net for the death of 70 persons in one of the worst tragedies the national capital has seen.delhi Updated: Nov 21, 2010 00:42 IST
Amritpal Singh Sachdeva is in police net for the death of 70 persons in one of the worst tragedies the national capital has seen.
But there are high chances that those officials of the civic body who are equally, if not more, responsible for the Lalita Park deaths would go scot-free. Reason:
There are absolutely no records of the seven-storey building with the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
The civic body's vigilance department that is conducting an inquiry into the collapse has cited lack of records pertaining to the building as one of the major hindrances in pinning down those responsible for the mishap.
"We have questioned many people for more information such as which year were all the floors of the building constructed so that we could identify the officials concerned serving in the department at that time. But all the persons questioned so far have given a different version. Because of this, it is becoming a difficult task to fix accountability of the engineers or the building department officials," said a senior official, requesting anonymity.
MCD standing committee chairman Yogender Chandolia admitted, "Due to lack of records regarding this particular building, the vigilance department is unable to pin down a single official."
"In 1983, this colony was handed over to the MCD on paper but the actual handover happened later," he added.
The civic agency does not have any records about the construction of the building. Not only this, as the illegal building was not served a single notice from the MCD, the vigilance team is unable to find out when was the illegal construction carried out.
In addition to this, the team is yet to meet all the victims to get more information about the building and the collapse.
"A lot of the victims, who could give us valuable information about the building, are still in hospitals. We will be interviewing them too. All this will take time," said an MCD official.
Sources said the chief vigilance officer (CVO), Rajesh Kumar, on Friday met the municipal commissioner and asked for a week's time to complete his investigation.
Sources said that the CVO told the commissioner that there was a need for a thorough investigation into all aspects of the matter, including the issue of illegal construction, and that he does not want to complete the probe in a "haphazard manner".