‘Nursery guidelines violative of RTE Act’
The Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) on Friday issued a notice to the Delhi government directing it to re-examine the nursery admission guidelines which were issued on Wednesday.delhi Updated: Dec 18, 2010 01:15 IST
The Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) on Friday issued a notice to the Delhi government directing it to re-examine the nursery admission guidelines which were issued on Wednesday. In a letter issued to the principal secretary, department of education, the commission said the guidelines violate the Right to Education Act.
The DCPCR is of opinion that whereas both the guidelines issued by the Ministry of HRD and Delhi government are in conformity with the act in so far as they apply random selection criteria to 25% seats for children from economically weaker section, but it violates the provisions of RTE wherein it deals with remaining 75% seats in respect of un-aided and specified category schools.
The commission felt that given a choice most schools will stick to the points system which is discriminatory and results in denial of admissions to the children in many cases. The DCPCR also said that from the comments given by the education minister Arvinder Singh on the new guidelines it is clear that multiple criteria have been introduced for school admissions which would create preferences for certain types of categories of children over other category of children which would amount to violation of provisions of the RTE act.
First Published: Dec 18, 2010 01:13 IST