Panic at Safdarjung after oxygen pipe leakage
Two fire tenders had to be rushed to Safdarjung Hospital at about 12.50pm on Sunday after a fire broke out in its emergency unit.delhi Updated: Sep 04, 2011 23:29 IST
Two fire tenders had to be rushed to Safdarjung Hospital at about 12.50pm on Sunday after a fire broke out in its emergency unit.
The fire was caused by leakage in the centralised oxygen supply pipeline.
Eyewitness account suggest that patients were asked to vacate the emergency unit, located behind the casualty section.
Emergency services remained paralyzed for about two hours.
"As soon as fire broke out, on-duty doctors called up the fire department. The fire tenders arrived in no time. The staff asked patients to vacate the premises to avoid any mishap. No one was hurt or injured," said a senior resident of Safdarjung Hospital, unwilling to be named.
"Since it was a Sunday and patients were very few, a major panic situation was averted," he said.
"We received a call at 12.50pm and we rushed our team to fix the problem. Thankfully, no one was hurt and the leakage was spotted and repaired," said a spokesperson of the fire department.
First Published: Sep 04, 2011 23:21 IST