PIL filed against new admission rules
A Public Interest Litigation was filed in the Delhi High Court on Monday seeking quashing of the nursery admission guidelines framed by the Delhi Government. The PIL contends that the guidelines violate the Right to Education Act.delhi Updated: Dec 20, 2010 23:29 IST
A Public Interest Litigation was filed in the Delhi High Court on Monday seeking quashing of the nursery admission guidelines framed by the Delhi Government. The PIL contends that the guidelines violate the Right to Education Act.
The PIL was filed by a civil rights group Social Jurist.
Challenging the government notification’s validity, its lawyer Ashok Agarwal said the move giving private schools a free hand to formulate their own admission criteria was against the RTE Act and Delhi High court’s previous orders.
“It is based on categorisation of children. The guidelines will lead to further commercialization of education at the cost of hapless parents/students,” the PIL, likely to be heard by a bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra on Wednesday, says.
Agarwal said the High Court, in September 2006, had constituted a panel of experts headed by Ashok Ganguly, Chairman CBSE to go into all the issues related to nursery admission. It enumerated three basic principles to evolve a common admission process, transparency, elimination of interview and minimising management’s discretion.
The PIL said the panel had formulated a 100-point scale with emphasis on uniform admission procedure for all schools. Agarwal said the only agreeable point was 25% reservation for children from economically weaker sections but the permission to schools to formulate their own policy to fill the remaining 75 % seats could not be allowed.
First Published: Dec 20, 2010 23:27 IST