Delhi: 30-yr-old shot dead by gym instructor after tiff over music | cities | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 14, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi: 30-yr-old shot dead by gym instructor after tiff over music

A 30-year-old man was shot dead by a gym instructor in south Delhi’s Vasant Kunj on Tuesday night following an argument over loud music.

cities Updated: Feb 24, 2016 14:53 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
South Delhi,Vasant Kunj,journalist
Representational Image

A 30-year-old man was allegedly shot dead by a gym instructor in south Delhi’s Vasant Kunj following an argument over loud music played by the accused, police said on Wednesday.

Police said the victim, identified only as Hardeep, was shot dead inside his rented apartment on Tuesday night by the gym instructor. He was hit by one bullet on his stomach.

The accused, identified as 27-year-old Rinku, and two of his friends are absconding.

Hardeep was working as the editor of a journal published by the Inter-University Accelerator Center, a research institute run by the University Grants Commission (UGC). He was earlier associated with a private TV channel, a police official said.

“Rinku was reportedly drinking with his friends and playing loud music. When Hardeep went to the gym asking them to end the party or at least lower the volume, Rinku got angry and started abusing Hardeep,” the official said.

Hardeep left after threatening to report the matter to the residents’ welfare society.

Police added that Rinku and two of his friends went to Hardeep’s room and asked him to come out and settle the matter.

Rinku started kicking the door, threatening to break in. When Hardeep opened the door, the two had an argument followed by a scuffle. Hardeep was pushed to the ground, kicked and punched several times. Rinku then whipped out a pistol and fired at Hardeep,” the officer said.

Hardeep’s friend tried to overpower Rinku and his friends but they escaped after threatening to shoot him too.

Police said the friend took Hardeep to a hospital on an auto-rickshaw after police allegedly did not respond to a call.

“Authorities at the hospital informed us about the bullet injury and our team then went to the hospital to examine the case. On the statement of Hardeep’s friend, a case of murder has been registered and a hunt to nab the accused is on,” an investigator said.

A separate inquiry will be initiated to see why the PCR did not reach the spot despite a call from Hardeep’s friend, he added.

First Published: Feb 24, 2016 12:19 IST