Speeding DTC bus jumps pavement, crushes one, injures three in Punjabi Bagh
The Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) dragged the four to a few metres before coming to a stop. The victim, Raja Thakur, used to sell flowers on the pavement. The errant bus driver has been arrested.delhi Updated: Mar 13, 2017 01:34 IST
A 25-year-old florist was killed while three others were critically injured after a speeding Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) low floor AC bus jumped a footpath and crushed them in west Delhi’s Punjabi Bagh on Sunday morning.
The victim was identified as Raja Thakur, who is a native of Bihar. He lived with his family in Paschim Vihar. The three injured included two florists, Rakesh and Mithun, and a scrap collector, identified as Shankar. Police said the three used to sell bouquets on the pavement.
The errant bus driver, identified as Sandeep Kumar, 40, was arrested after local residents caught him at the accident spot. Kumar was booked for rash and negligent driving causing death and hurt. The FIR was registered at the Punjabi Bagh police station. Police also seized the bus involved in the accident. There were around 25 passengers in the bus at the time of the accident. They escaped unhurt.
Vijay Kumar, deputy commissioner of police (west), said that the accident took place around 9.45 am at West Avenue Road in central market in Punjabi Bagh. The DTC low-floor AC bus on route number 567 (plying between Nangloi and Lajpat Nagar) was coming from Paschim Vihar side at a high speed.
The driver of an auto-rickshaw that was ahead of the DTC bus applied brakes suddenly to take a U-turn. As the bus driver was following the auto in speed, he too took a sharp turn to avoid hitting the three-wheeler.
“The bus driver lost control over the bus and it climbed the footpath and ran over four men. They were dragged some feet on the footpath and were stuck under the bus,” Ravindra, an eyewitness told the police.
Other eyewitnesses told police that bus was in such speed that even after hitting the pavement, it first hit an electric pole then a tree before running over the four men.
A passerby called the police control room after which a police team along with a crane reached the accident spot and rescued the four victims from under the bus. They took almost half an hour to rescue the men. They were all taken to Maharaja Agrasen hospital where Raja was declared dead on arrival. The condition of the other three was stated to be serious, said police.
Similar DTC bus accidents
- February 18, 2017: A 25-year-old man was killed and a woman critically injured after they were hit by a speeding low-floor air conditioned (AC) bus of Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) in northwest Delhi’s Shalimar Bagh.
- August 29, 2014: A 65-year-old woman was killed when she was mowed down by a Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) bus at Sultanpuri bus terminal in outer Delhi
- April 8, 2014: A 32-year-old property dealer was killed after the motorcycle he was riding was hit by a speeding DTC low-floor Air Conditioned (AC) bus in west Delhi’s Maadipur.
- January 8, 2014: A 23-year-old man,who was on his way to attend his sister’s funeral was killed after the motorcycle he was riding was hit allegedly by a speeding Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) bus in east Delhi’s Ghazipur.
- August 20, 2013: A 27-year-old man lost his life after the motorcycle he was riding on was hit by a speeding Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) bus in north Delhi’s Subzi Mandi.
First Published: Mar 12, 2017 21:30 IST