Subramanian Swamy is lord again, wins big in 2G case
Janata Party president, Subramanian Swamy, says the Supreme Court has given the best possible judgment in the 2G case.delhi Updated: Feb 02, 2012 12:11 IST
Janata Party president Subaramanian Swamy scored in the courts again. The Supreme Court, based on his petition, cancelled 122 telecom licences awarded in a 2008 sale that has become a major corruption scandal rocking the government.
The court also ruled that Swamy's petition that Home Minister P Chidambaram be made an accused in the investigation into the scandal will be heard by a lower court. "I will prove that Mr Chidambaram is a crook," said Swamy while speaking to reporters after the apex court order.
Cancellation of 2G licenses by the Supreme Court clearly brought out the big scam and it was a "collective failure" of the government which "overlooked" warnings given by the CAG and the CVC on the issue, Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy said on Thursday.
"2G is a big scam and it is a collective failure of the government," he said.
"This is the best judgement that could be possible; the country can be justifiably proud of Supreme Court."
Just last week, Swamy achieved a victory when the Supreme Court on his petition set a three-month deadline for authorities to give sanction for prosecuting public officials.
Senior journalist Cho Ramasawamy called Swamy "man of the series" for his hunt against accused in the 2G scandal. "Subramanian Swamy is not just man of the match, he is the man of the series," he said.
"Everyone had warned including the CAG and the CVC but the government overlooked it," Swamy said soon after the Supreme Court cancelled the 122 spectrum licences and left it to the trial court to decide on whether to probe P Chidambaram.
Swamy said "it is a collective failure" of the government that 2G licences were issued in an "illegal and corrupt" manner and nobody felt that the Cabinet should be called and the licenses scrapped.
On prosecution of Chidambaram, he said, "I am very happy that the court has said since the matter is in the trial court and the matter has been reserved, the trial court perfectly competent to decide on the matter whether the Home Minister should be proceeded against or not."
"It is being made clear that the trial court is fully seized of the matter. Now the CBI could not add anything by way of an investigation.
"It is the best posssible judgement that could be possible for the three judges. The country can be justifiably proud of Supreme Court," he told reporters.
First Published: Feb 02, 2012 11:41 IST