Sushma assures action in ‘gang-rape’ of American woman
The woman had, in an email to the Delhi police, said she was raped by five men at a Connaught Place hotel during her visit to India in March.delhi Updated: Dec 03, 2016 16:21 IST
External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj on Saturday said those guilty in the alleged gang-rape of an American woman at a five-star hotel in March this year will not be spared and asked the Delhi police to register a case.
The woman had, in an email written to the Delhi police, said she was raped by five men at a Connaught Place hotel during her visit to India.
Taking cognizance of media reports about the alleged rape, Swaraj, in a series of tweets, said she spoke to Delhi lieutenant governor Najeeb Jung and Indian ambassador in US Navtej Sarna about the matter.
She said she told Jung that “police should register a case and bring the guilty to book.”
“I have also asked the Indian ambassador in the US to contact the victim and assure her that we will not spare the guilty,” Swaraj added.
The Delhi police had earlier received an e-mail complaint from the woman. The woman has said she had hired a tourist guide who, she alleged, was one of the rapists.
Police sources said they were investigating the allegations and had questioned some employees of the hotel.
First Published: Dec 03, 2016 16:18 IST