This is what happens when you put kitchen gas in your car
It’s just gas, he must have thought. But the man who tried to fill kitchen-fuel Liquid Petroleum Gas into a CNG fitted car ended up causing a blast in which 11 people—including five of his family members—were injured.delhi Updated: Jun 09, 2009 23:55 IST
It’s just gas, he must have thought.
But the man who tried to fill kitchen-fuel Liquid Petroleum Gas into a CNG fitted car ended up causing a blast in which 11 people—including five of his family members—were injured.
According to police, the incident took place around 1 pm in Geeta Colony in East Delhi when businessman Robin Ahuja was illegally refilling the Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) kit of his car—with a kitchen cylinder.
“Eyewitnesses said the LPG cylinder leaked, caught fire and exploded,” said a senior police officer not authorised to speak to media.
The impact of the explosion was such the CNG kit in the car also caught fire The flames then spread over to two adjoining houses —one of which was Ahuja’s. Police said the explosion of the blast brought down the main door and some windows of Ahuja’s house and also caught fire.
Sudesh Ahuja, Robin’s grandmother, and five other family members sustained injuries.
Santosh Sharma, owner of the other house that caught fire also received injuries. All were immediately rushed to Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital and discharged after first aid. Robin however managed to flee from the spot after the incident.
Four fire tenders were sent to the spot to bring the fire under control.
According to Ram Chandra, a local, the fire also spread to his shop and destroyed property..
Police have registered a case gainst Ahuja. A manhunt has been launched to nab him.
First Published: Jun 09, 2009 23:53 IST