Tunda's terror trail: where he struck and when
Abdul Karim Tunda is wanted in at least 33 criminal cases all over the country, mostly concentrated in Uttar Pradesh, New Delhi and Punjab. Here are some of the most prominent cases he was involved in.delhi Updated: Aug 17, 2013 15:20 IST
Abdul Karim Tunda is wanted in at least 33 criminal cases all over the country, mostly concentrated in Uttar Pradesh, New Delhi and Punjab. Here are some of the most prominent cases he was involved in:
A total of 22 bomb blasts rocked the national capital in 1997 alone. All of these blasts were low-intensity explosions, carried out to create panic rather than causing maximum fatalities. None of them was planted near a religious place. Tunda's hand is believed to be in many of these blasts. These are some of the most prominant ones:
* December 30, 1997: A blast in a Blueline bus killed four and injured 24 in the Punjabi Bagh area. A Pakistani national who was on death row since 2006 for the blast was released on Supreme Court orders in January this year.
* November 30, 1997: Twin blasts in the Red Fort area leave three dead, 70 injured.
* October 26, 1997: Twin bomb blasts in Karol Bagh market kill one, injure 34.
* October 18, 1997: One person killed and 23 others injured in twin bomb blasts in the Rani Bagh market.
* October 10, 1997: Three bomb blasts at Shantivan, Kauria Pul and Kingsway Camp areas kill one, injure 16.
* October 1, 1997: 30 people injured in two bomb explosions near a procession in the Sadar Bazar area.
* January 9, 1997: 50 injured in a bomb blast opposite the Delhi Police headquarters at ITO.
A bomb blast outside the Jalandhar Railway Station killed seven people and injured a dozen others on March 14, 1997.
A blast on Frontier Mail killed two passengers in 1996 in Ghaziabad.
A 10-year-old boy was killed and about a dozen people injured in a bomb planted in a bus parked at Panipat bus stand on February 1, 1997. Pakistani national Mohammad Hussain alias Zulfikar was found guilty and awarded life sentence by a Chandigarh court in 2008 but Tunda's involvement was suspected in the case as well.
First Published: Aug 17, 2013 15:10 IST