Volunteers miss the inauguration
They had been waiting for this day for months but when it finally came it left them disappointed. A number of Commonwealth Games volunteers, who were hoping to watch the opening day ceremony of the Games, got a rude shock on Sunday when they were told that they couldn't attend it.delhi Updated: Oct 04, 2010 01:35 IST
They had been waiting for this day for months but when it finally came it left them disappointed. A number of Commonwealth Games volunteers, who were hoping to watch the opening day ceremony of the Games, got a rude shock on Sunday when they were told that they couldn't attend it.
"I had enrolled myself for the Games hoping that at least I will be able to attend the opening and closing ceremonies. I had got ready to leave my house on Sunday when I got a call informing me that I will be required only for the sporting events starting from Monday. This was a lifetime opportunity and I feel really let down," said Gajendra Sharma, a volunteer.
There are approximately 22,000 people who had enrolled themselves as volunteers for the Games with the Organisng Committee and have been posted at various stadiums and Games venues.
"We were told by the Organising Committee that we might be given an opportunity to attend the opening ceremony but nothing could be worked out. We will now have to be content by watching it on the television," said 21-year-old Samina Keskar, another volunteer.
After failing to get an entry ticket for the opening ceremony, the volunteers are now hoping that they might be able to attend the closing ceremony of the Games.
Told to stay in the bus
After some bikers allegedly attacked a 17-year-old volunteer when he objected to them eve-teasing his colleagues, the Delhi Police and the Organising Committee are not taking any chances with security for volunteers.
The OC has come with a directive for the volunteers instructing them not to venture out of their transportation bus on their own. They have also been told that they would be directly picked from home and taken to the Games Village.
"After a boys was allegedly attacked in the wee hours of Saturday we have told the volunteers to not go alone home. We are responsible for their security and we will take all steps possible to ensure it," said a senior OC official on the condition of anonymity, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.