Won’t contest elections in 2014: Sharad Pawar
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief and Union agriculture minister Sharad Pawar wants to call it quits from electoral politics in the 2014 general elections. HT reports.delhi Updated: Jan 29, 2012 01:48 IST
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief and Union agriculture minister Sharad Pawar wants to call it quits from electoral politics in the 2014 general elections.
“I would like to focus on the party’s organisation. It’s enough… I have been doing this for last 45 years and it is now time to make way for the young generation,” said Pawar in an interview to Lokmat-IBN news channel.
He said he was not even keen on a Rajya Sabha seat. Pawar, the state’s youngest chief minister, entered electoral politics in 1967. He has been Maharashtra CM thrice, besides holding portfolios like defence and agriculture at the Centre. The 72-year-old veteran had claimed in the last general elections too that he would not contest polls, but later stood for elections.
In 2009, his daughter Supriya Sule had contested from his pocket borough Baramati, while he contested from the neighbouring seat of Madha.
Pawar, who founded the NCP in 1999, took it to a surprising win that year. Since then, the NCP has been sharing power with the Congress in the state. His nephew Ajit Pawar, the deputy chief minister of the state, has been running the state party affairs.
Pawar also expressed unhappiness with ally Congress saying that there wasn’t enough co-ordination within UPA II on big policy decisions. He said the smaller coalition parties sometimes got to know of decisions through the media.
First Published: Jan 28, 2012 18:47 IST