Need time to calculate cost to restore Yamuna bed, says panel

Updated on Sep 30, 2016 10:04 PM IST
An expert committee has told the National Green Tribunal that the tentative cost to restore the Yamuna riverbed, allegedly damaged due to the Art of Living Foundation’s culture festival, can be calculated only after November.
The seven-member principal committee headed by Shashi Shekhar, secretary in the ministry of water resources, told a bench headed by Justice Jawad Rahim that the survey to determine the restoration cost could not be completed because of floods in the area.(Representative photo)
The seven-member principal committee headed by Shashi Shekhar, secretary in the ministry of water resources, told a bench headed by Justice Jawad Rahim that the survey to determine the restoration cost could not be completed because of floods in the area.(Representative photo)
Hindustan Times | ByHT Correspondent, New Delhi

An expert committee has told the National Green Tribunal that the tentative cost to restore the Yamuna riverbed, allegedly damaged due to the Art of Living Foundation’s culture festival, can be calculated only after November.

The seven-member principal committee headed by Shashi Shekhar, secretary in the ministry of water resources, told a bench headed by Justice Jawad Rahim that the survey to determine the restoration cost could not be completed because of floods in the area.

“We see the letter from Shashi Shekhar, secretary, water resources, dated September 9, 2016, wherein he has mentioned that the task of conducting a survey for determining the cost of restoration to the environment, ecology and bio-diversity could not be completed due to non-favourable conditions, the bench noted.

“He indicated that selection of dumping site, etc., can be done by Delhi Development Authority under the supervision of the principal committee only after the month of November, 2016. At present, the area is inundated and is not accessible. He has expressed his difficulty in submitting the report,” the bench said.

The NGT will hear the matter next on October 7. The committee was formed for the rejuvenation of the Yamuna.

On August 10, the bench had directed the committee to quantify the damage and furnish a tentative cost for the restoration of the area and allowed the panel to use any specialised agency for the purpose.

Read: Art of Living seeks time to respond to report on Yamuna damage

The expert committee had in an earlier hearing told the NGT that the World Culture Festival extravaganza had “completely destroyed” the riverbed.

The tribunal had directed the seven-member expert committee headed by Shekhar and senior scientists and experts from the National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, IIT-Delhi and other agencies to inspect the site of the festival held in March this year.

The Art Of Living foundation had earlier deposited R4.75 crore as “environment compensation” with the Delhi Development Authority as directed by the NGT.

The green court had on March 9 refused to prohibit the festival held from March 11 to 13 but asked the foundation to pay a compensation of R5 crore for damaging the biodiversity and aquatic life of the Yamuna.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • A Shivneri bus HT Archives

    Shivneri buses to Pune from Thane and Borivali to be replaced with low-cost Shivai

    Come October, commuters headed to Pune from Thane and Borivali will have a low-cost, yet comfortable transport facility. The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation is planning to replace the iconic Shivneri buses on this route with electric Shivai buses. However, the Shivneri buses will continue to ply between Dadar and Pune. Currently, Shivneri buses charge ₹450 per passenger.

  • Students in the process of getting admission at Miranda House College in New Delhi. The admission process is on for the new academic session in Delhi University. (Photo by Sushil Kumar/Hindustan Times)

    Only 20% FYJC aspirants confirm admission in four days, deadline on Wednesday

    Mumbai: Blame it on the long weekend and travel plans or students refusing to alter their college preference, just 20% first-year junior college (FYJC) aspirants from the second merit list have confirmed admissions until Monday. College principals have attributed this low admission acceptance to students travelling during the long weekend. The second merit list was released by the office of the deputy director of education (DyDE) on August 12, where 69,691 students were allotted seats.

  • On the day of the incident, the couple had a heated exchange of words at night and after which Mukhtar fled from the area. Since he is absconding, it appears that he had killed his wife, said the police officer, adding that there are strangulation marks on her neck. (HT Photo)

    Man strangulates wife over petty issue, flees

    Mumbai: A 33-year-old man allegedly killed hMukhtar'swife by strangulating her over a trivial issue in wee hours on Sunday and fled from the house. JJ Marg police have launched a manhunt for him. According to the police, the deceased was identified as Manzila Shaikh, 30, who was staying in Imamwada area along JJ Marg along with her husband, Sukhchand Shaikh alias Mukhtar, 33.

  • Officials declined to clarify their decision on this proposal for the time being, but added that compensatory afforestation to offset this loss is proposed to be carried out by the PGCI on 45 hectares of degraded forest land in the Boisar range, in Palghar itself. (HT Photo)

    1,436 more trees to be axed for Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train

    A total of 1,436 trees in the Dahanu forest range, in Palghar district, are proposed to be felled to make way for the upcoming Mumbai-Ahmedabad Bullet Train. The 1,400 odd trees are located on 22 hectares of forest land across three villages (Betegaon, Valva and Shigaon) in Palghar. The proposal was considered by the REC on August 10.

  • Image for representation

    Loan app: Malad typist claims to have got threat calls from Nepal, Bangladesh

    Police have registered a case after a 34-year-old typist from Malad East alleged that he received calls from Nepal and Bangladesh, threatening him to post his morphed photographs on social media if he failed to repay the loan money which he had not even applied for. The man also claimed that his morphed photos had been sent to the people on his phone contact list from two numbers - 880-1815309879 (Bangladesh) and 977-9880176174 (Nepal).

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, August 15, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now