Class 12 marks will not impact JEE Main rank: HRD ministry
Class 12 board examination marks will not be taken into account for calculating ranks in the JEE Main, which is the gateway for admission into National Institutes of Technology (NITs) from the 2016-17 academic year, HRD ministry said on Thursday.
The JEE is a national common entrance examination conducted to provide admissions to several engineering courses, including the prestigious Indian Institutes of Engineering (IITs) and NITs.
According to the existing policy, 40% weightage is given to board exam marks in determining the ranks for JEE-Main score.
However, for the candidates to qualify in the JEE examination, they need to secure at least 75% marks or be in the top 20% percentile in the class 12 examination conducted by respective boards, a senior HRD official said.
For SC/ST students, this has been relaxed to 65% marks.
The weightage system was introduced in 2012 by then HRD minister Kapil Sibal in the belief that students would pay more attention to board exams instead of concentrating on the curriculum of coaching institutes. Following the delay in publishing of ranking lists, the Smriti Irani-led HRD ministry formed a panel to study the weightage system and submit its recommendations.
This is the second UPA introduced decision related to examination reforms scrapped by the NDA government. Earlier, the controversial percentile system that governed students’ eligibility for admissions into the IITs was changed in September last year.
The system required successful candidates to be among the top-20 percentile scorers in the Class 12 exams of their respective boards.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Institute of banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) on Monday announced the results of IBPS Clerk main examination 2021
- The Railway Recruitment Boards has initiated refund of examination fee to candidates who took Computer based Test (CBT) for Ministerial and Isolated Category posts against CEN-03/2019.
- The answer key and results of All India Sainik Schools Entrance Examination 2021 is expected soon.
- The attendance was high even in schools in rural areas. Both students and parents were happy about the reopening of schools.
- The National Testing Agency (NTA) is expected to soon release the answer keys of the JEE Main 2021 exam on its official website.
- Schools in Bihar are all set to commence regular classes for students of class 1 to 5 on Monday amid Covid-19 safety protocols.