Ragging, beating juniors a norm at MANIT, say 1st, 2nd year students
Students of first and second years at the Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology (MANIT) in Bhopal have accused senior students of regularly beating them up after consuming alcohol. They have also filed a ragging complaint at the National Anti-Ragging Helpline (NARH) in this regard,
“On the morning of January 8, a group of 3rd year students knocked at the hostel rooms of first and second year students in a drunken state. Then they beat up the students who opened their doors,” said a student requesting anonymity.
“The mass ragging took place on the hostel premises but the administration did not take any action. And this is not the first time something like this has happened; beating up juniors is a common occurrence in the campus,” said another student from second year.
Senior students have reportedly threatened the juniors with ‘dire consequences’ after they filed the complaint at NARH. However, MANIT director, Appu Kuttan said that he was not aware of such complaint being lodged.
In another incident from a few days ago, first year students had lodged complaint with NARH that their seniors had forced them to watch obscene videos and imitate them. Acting on this, Kuttan had asked the senior students to fill a bond of Rs 1 lakh and had suspended them from the hostel.
The recent allegations of violence are now pending before a proctor board.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Allahabad High Court UP HJS Recruitment 2021: High Court of Judicature at Allahabad has invited online applications for recruitment against 98 vacancies of district judge (UP HJS).
- SSB Head Constable Revised Answer Key: Sahastra Seema Bal (SSB) on Wednesday released the revised answer key for the posts of Head Constable (Ministerial) on its official website ssb.nic.in.
- The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) is likely to declare the SSC GD Constable final result 2018 on Wednesday, January 20, 2021.
- The objective of the initiative is to improve the learning level of students and develop the selected schools into best-in-class schools as per national and international standards, so that students of Jharkhand, particularly rural areas, can compete with students of other education boards.
- The Symbiosis National Aptitude Test (SNAP) 2020 Result will be declared on January 22, 2021, reads an official notice on the website
- The online application process for India Post for recruitment against 4269 vacancies for the post of Gramin Dak Sevaks (GDS) in Karnataka and Gujarat circles is closing on Wednesday, January 20.
- Candidates can register online at aaccc.gov.in on or before January 24, 2021, till 12 noon.
- Interested and eligible candidates can apply for the positions online at nta.ac.in on or before February 18, 2021.