Diljit Dosanjh snuck out of magazine interview because he didn't know English: 'My flaw is I don't know English'
Actor-singer Diljit Dosanjh is known for his affable and down-to-earth attitude. Even as he scales new heights as an actor in Hindi films, he has made sure never to lose his fondness for Punjabi or learn English just to fit in with the others.
In 2019, Diljit had appeared on the cover of Vogue magazine with Kareena Kapoor Khan, Karan Johar and Natasha Poonawalla. While he did pose for the pictures with them, he never ended up giving his interview to the magazine.
Speaking to BBC Asian Network in 2020, Diljit had that he chose to sit out the interview because he did not feel confident about speaking in English. "It is a flaw. Everyone has flaws. Mine is that I do not know English. Yes there was an English madam who wanted to take my interview for Vogue. They called us especially to London to click our pictures. I was so bewildered even when I was on the plane. I was like these people are giving us tickets, booking hotels, just to click photos. Click it anywhere yaar," he had said.
"When the photos were done, madam ji said she had to do interviews. She was interviewing everyone in English. Main bas katt liya paaji wahan se (I just left the place). I said thank you, just click the photos please," he had added.
Earlier speaking about his struggle with English language, Diljit had said, “See, if I get offered a Hinglish film, I cannot really take it up. When I do a Punjabi film, I am able to take a scene, interpret it my way and offer variations. I already struggle with Hindi because of my limited vocabulary. I try to watch Hindi films, pick up a word or an expression but usually, I end up delivering the dialogue I have been given. You cannot do your best unless you have control on the language. But I am not going to let this pass… I am already working towards improving my Hindi and I am not going to die an English illiterate.”
Diljit was recently seen in Suraj Pe Mangal Bhari with Manoj Bajpayee and Fatima Sana Shaikh. The film got mostly positive reviews with many praising Diljit's faultless comic timing.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.