Karan pays tribute to dad Yash Johar with Dostana
Filmmaker Karan Johar's new movie is a tribute to his late father Yash Johar. He has decided to name his new production, Dostana, after the 1980 blockbuster of the same name made by his father Yash Johar.
The story is set in Miami and Karan's assistant Tarun Mansukhani will start shooting it this summer. Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham and Priyanka Chopra lead the glamorous cast.
Commenting on the title of the movie, Karan told IANS: "For a long time, we had no title for Tarun Mansukhani's brilliant script. It is funny, sassy and hilarious. And it's also about friendship between these two guys played by Abhishek and John.
"So, I don't know why it took us so long to hit on the right title. Dostana, it is. I was waiting for Tarun to return from location-scouting before firming up the title."
Karan is nostalgic about the title.
"You know, when my father produced Dostana in 1980, he was going through hard times, but all the three principal actors Amit uncle (Amitabh Bachchan), Shatrughan Sinha and Zeenat Aman co-operated. That's how the film was made."
So is the new Dostana a love triangle like the old one?
"Well, yes and no. Though it's a love story, there is a never-before twist in the tale. All I can say on record is that we've never had a love triangle like Dostana before. And you'll never see Abhishek and John playing something like this again," Karan said.
He is also relieved that the title has not landed him in trouble.
"For Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna I had to ask Aroona Irani to lend me the title because she starred in the song sung by Kishore Kumar in the movie Chalte Chalte. She sweetly gave me the title in exchange for a kiss. For Dostana, I had to kiss nobody except my father's memory."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Nakuul Mehta’s wife Jankee Parekh revealed how her life has changed after the birth of their son, Sufi. She said that she is busy with mommy duties, leaving her little time for social media activities.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
- Gauahar Khan revealed her father has been admitted to a hospital. The actor took to Instagram and shared pictures of how her husband Zaid Darbar and in-laws are supporting her.
Birthday girl Sanya Malhotra: In my fifth year in Bollywood, it’s surreal, can’t believe I am living my dream
- Ayushmann Khurrana made sure to interact with his fans in Shillong by promptly coming down to meet them after they gathered at his Shillong hotel. Watch here