World No Tobacco Day: 8 innovative ways to kick the butt
Just one puff is how smokers defend their habit and delay the process of quitting. On World No Tobacco Day, find out some effective ways to destroy that craving for cigarettes.fitness Updated: Jun 19, 2017 07:29 IST
Smoking has not only become a part and parcel of daily life, but also ever increasing among people. Though people feel like quitting it, the call of addiction creates an obstruction on the way. Hence this ‘World No Tobacco Day,’ Shelly Prakash, founder of SmokingDiet, has come up with some effective and easy ways to destroy that craving of having just a puff.
1) Suck on a drinking straw: For some smokers, ending a meal means lighting up, and the prospect of giving that up may appear daunting. Replace that moment after a meal with sucking on a drinking straw. It will keep you off smoking.
2) Snap your cravings away: Wear a rubber band around your wrist and snap it if you are considering giving in to a craving. The sting will distract you and give you a moment to remember all of the reasons why you are quitting.
3) Go for a quick work out: Whenever you feel the urge to smoke, take 5-10 pushups. Your mind and body will be diverted quickly.
4) Do the dishes and distract your mind: Do dishes when you crave a cigarette. A wet hand cannot hold a cigarette. The activity doesn’t matter as long as it gets you off smoking.
5) Add ginseng powder to your breakfast: Ginseng is an effective remedy to prevent the release of dopamine, one of the main components found in nicotine.
6) Try a game of solitaire: Replace your cigarette break at work with game of solitaire on your computer. A quick gaming session keeps your mind off nicotine.
7) Learn to knit from your grandmother: Knitting is an effective and rewarding way to deal with the stress that often leads people to smoke. Research and anecdotal evidence reveals that people who learn to and knit through trying times (such as quitting smoking) have lower stress levels.
8) Reward yourself: Reinforce your victories. Whenever you triumph over a craving, give yourself a reward to keep yourself motivated.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more