Apple's Mac App Store downloads top 100 mn
Over 100 million apps have been downloaded from Apple's Mac App Store since its launch in January, Xinhua reported.gadgets Updated: Dec 13, 2011 19:43 IST
Over 100 million apps have been downloaded from Apple's Mac App Store since its launch in January, Xinhua reported.
"With more than 100 million downloads in less than a year, the Mac App Store is the largest and fastest growing PC software store in the world," Apple said in a statement Monday, adding that "Mac App Store is changing the traditional PC software industry."
Apple launched the Mac App Store in January as a free download for Mac OS X users, allowing users to sift through free and paid applications and download them to their devices like Apple mobile App Store.
After 24 hours of release, there was a total of more than one million downloads. Apple said Monday that the Mac App Store now offers thousands of apps in education, games, graphics and design, lifestyle, productivity, utilities and other categories.
According to its policies, 70 per cent of the revenue generated from paid applications goes to developers while the remaining 30 per cent is kept by Apple.
Apple's first application store is the mobile App Store launched in 2008, which, in the tech giant's words, has "changed how people get mobile apps".
In October, Apple said, its mobile app downloads topped 18 billion and over $3 billion had been paid to developers since 2008.
First Published: Dec 13, 2011 15:43 IST