Fixed Lumia 900 bug: Nokia
Nokia has announced that it has fixed a software bug in its Lumia 900 smartphones which went on sale a week ago in the United States, its answer to Apple's iPhone.gadgets Updated: Apr 14, 2012 13:35 IST
Nokia said on Saturday it has fixed a software bug in its Lumia 900 smartphones which went on sale a week ago in the United States, its answer to Apple's iPhone.
Earlier this week Nokia said its first 4G phone, which it markets with the strapline "an amazingly fast way to connect", can occasionally lose its data connection due to the bug. It promised to fix the problem around April 16.
"The update is now available. Consumers now have the opportunity to update their AT&T version Nokia Lumia 900 software," the firm said.
Lumia 900 is the third Nokia phone to run Microsoft's Windows operating system since it ditched its own Symbian system last year, and only went on sale in the United States through AT&T on April 8.
It is due for a wider global launch this quarter. The model won several awards at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas when it was launched in January.
Nokia is offering anyone who has bought a Lumia 900 phone, or who buys one by April 21, a $100 credit to their AT&T bill. The operator sells the phone for $99.99 with a 2-year contract.
Nokia lost the top spot in the lucrative smartphone market last year to Apple and Google , and analysts said it lost overall top spot in cellphone sales volume in the last quarter to Samsung Electronics <005930.KS>.
This week Nokia also warned its phone business would post losses in the first two quarters of this year as it struggles to revamp its product line to compete with Apple and Samsung, sending its shares sharply lower.
Prabhu said the government, and therefore taxpayers, would have to spend millions of dollars to pick and sort through the files and return legitimate ones to their rightful owners. He said if anyone should bear that burden it's Carpathia. He suggested that the company was not the innocent third party it purports to be.
Prabhu said Carpathia made $35 million from Megaupload over the years and received thousands of notices that it was harboring pirated content. Therefore, Prabhu said, it can't claim to be shocked and caught off guard that the files and servers are now enmeshed in a criminal investigation.
The government said it has copied selected samples of what's on the servers and no longer needs the files as evidence. It also says it is prepared to share the data as required under federal trial rules with Megaupload.
Prabhu made clear at Friday's hearing that the government is not seeking the files' erasure. But he said it's not the government's duty to maintain the files and that ultimately the issue is a contractual matter between Carpathia and Megaupload that is not a matter of government interest. In court papers the government said while it's unfortunate that some lawful users of the site could lose access to their data, Megaupload's own terms of service warned users that they should store backup files elsewhere.
Judge O'Grady ordered the parties to meet under the supervision of a federal magistrate with a goal of reaching resolution. If that proves impossible, he said he would then wade in, but his preference was for a negotiated settlement, he said.
"Let's get together and see if you can't work it out," O'Grady said.
First Published: Apr 14, 2012 13:30 IST