This Earth Day, join Gurgaon’s Tree Man’s drive to plant a billion trees
As an Earth Day initiative, green crusader Deepak Ramesh Gaur, aka the Tree Man, will go about distributing and planting saplings in Gurgaon, as part of his drive to plant a billion trees.gurgaon Updated: Apr 21, 2017 17:49 IST
A resident of Gurgaon, Deepak Ramesh Gaur has waged a war against pollution, and he won’t stop till he plants a billion trees. Popular as Tree Man, Gaur made nature conservation and plantation his mission after a meeting with late Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, wherein he gifted a sapling to him. This Earth Day (April 22), Gaur will pedal across Gurgaon, beginning from Artemis Hospital, to spread the message of nature conservation, and conduct a tree plantation drive.
- Earth Day is an annual event celebrated worldwide on April 22. Various events are held on the day to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It began in the US in 1970 as a day to celebrate the planet and encourage people to be more environmentally friendly.Earth Day 2017’s campaign is Environmental and Climate Literacy.
An advertising professional, Gaur was set to undertake a Pedal Yatra on ‘Save the Girl Child’ covering different states, when he met with an accident in March 2010. His head injury left him in a vegetative state in coma. “It took me one year to stand on my feet. This one day, I asked my physiotherapist to take me out in the sunlight. And he took me from the basement to the garden, I saw a tree... It was a life-changing moment that taught me about friendship and humanity. Its deed is to give you oxygen, even if you keep cutting it, the one percent that survives will also give you oxygen. A tree doesn’t differentiate on the percentage of oxygen between people the rich and the poor. We must protect and preserve it,” says Gaur.
His initiative, Gift a Tree Campaign, started in 2012, and Gaur has planted trees in several states, embassies and Delhi-NCR. “Akela chala tha main, log milte rahe, aur karwah banta chala. Instead of giving a ‘dead object’, I wanted to start a movement where one gifts lives. I hope to continue to inspire everyone to plant trees. I also urge people to plant trees on their birthday, at places of devotion or in remembrance of a late family member.”
Planning to extend this movement across India and then abroad, Gaur adds: “My only wish is to educate people on the importance of trees. One should plant fruit saplings, or trees such as Ashoka or neem tree that have utility purpose.”
- An eco-trail walk is being organised by WWF to sensitise people on environment conservation at Aravalli Bio-diversity Park, on April 23, 6.30am onwards.
- #Breathe, is a clean air campaign — spearheaded by 17-year-old student Aadyaa Singhania — at Moti Bagh Crossing, New Delhi on April 22, 9 am onwards. Singhania will be joined by volunteers from various schools who will be distributing anti pollution masks, apart from spreading awareness and sharing ideas to prevent air pollution.
- The US Embassy and Clean Air Asia (CAA) are organising a campaign “Better Air, Better Earth” to promote air quality literacy on April 22. The campaign will involve, volunteers from the U.S. Embassy, Embassy of Sweden, Embassy of Spain, the Canadian High Commission and the Clean Air Asia -Youth Clean Air Network (YCan), who will be stationed at various locations in Delhi to record PM2.5 levels and take a perception survey.
- NGO IamGurgaon is celebrating the day with performances by various music bands, street plays on theme of Anti use of plastic bags, and a slogan contest at the Wazirabad Bundh opposite Paras Hospital Gurgaon, 5pm onwards.
- NGO Ek Uddan and Kind Souls community will be conducting a plantation drive outside Commissioner of Police, Gurgaon at Railway Road, Civil Lines, 10am onwards.
- RAMA Sachdev Foundation will conduct an awareness camp on the theme of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle at Smriti park, Sector 55, 5pm onwards.