Connecting through groups
People in Gurgaon have found a new way of bonding with each other — through social groups. The last couple of years have seen more than 10 new social groups coming up in the city.gurgaon Updated: May 25, 2012 00:28 IST
People in Gurgaon have found a new way of bonding with each other — through social groups. The last couple of years have seen more than 10 new social groups coming up in the city. From music to dance, coffee sessions, cycling, and even pet parties, there is a group for almost everything here.
A major advantage of these groups is that the immigrant population of Gurgaon is able to form new friendships through them. “Unlike Delhi, which is an old city, most people in Gurgaon have relocated from different cities. One often tends to feel a sense of loneliness without friends and family nearby. Social groups help us connect with like-minded people,” says Sehba Imam, founder, Lets Walk Gurgaon (LWG). The group explores different parts of the city on weekends by foot. However, their connection does not end here. “We often go together for movies and trips out of the city,” says Somanshu Kalra, member of LWG.
These groups also bring people from different backgrounds together. “The best thing about these groups is you can be a part of them for free,” says Anubhav Saxena, who is a member of three groups in the city.
“Initially, most people were apprehensive of meeting strangers, but we have formed a great bond over time. We meet regularly and socialise together,” says Shiraz, 28, founder of Gurgaon Coffee Meetup.
On a Sunday evening, many musically inclined people in Gurgaon head to the Biodiversity Park to play drums together. “It’s great to sing and dance together in the group,” says Kaveri Arora of the Gurgaon Drum Circle.
The city also has groups like Pedal Yatri for cycling enthusiasts and Dogs Day Out for pet lovers. Food lovers can go on eating expeditions with the Indian Food Freak group. Expats have also formed a group called Gurgaon Connection. One gets entry to this group only if he/she has a valid foreign passport.
Join these groups in Gurgaon
* Gurgaon Coffee meet-up : A coffee club that meets every Wednesday; www.meetup.com/gurgaoncoffeemeetup
* Everything and a Book Club too: a reading club that meets every Saturday; http://www.meetup.com/Everything-and-a-Book-Club-Too/
* Gurgaon Drum Circle: A musical group that meets on every alternate Sunday: http://www.facebook.com/groups/gurgaondrumcircle/
* Lets walk Gurgaon - a walking group that meets on Saturday morning: http://www.facebook.com/groups/letswalkgurgaon/
* Pedal Yatri - cyclists in the city: http://www.facebook.com/groups/pedalyatri/
* Dogs Day Out - pet lovers meet on alternate weekends: http://www.facebook.com/groups/Dogloversdayout/
* Gurgaon Connection -for expats only - http://gurgaonconnection.com/
* Indian Food Freak- food walks: http://www.facebook.com/groups/IndianFoodFreak/
* Gurgaon Moms: http://www.facebook.com/groups/gurgaonmoms/
* Let’s Click Gurgaon - a photography group: www.facebook.com/let’sclickgurgaon
First Published: May 24, 2012 19:21 IST