Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2019-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Dengue death: Complaint filed against another pvt hospital in Gurgaon

Man files complaint after minor son dies despite 22 days of treatment; cops probe claims, no FIR yet

gurgaon Updated: Dec 22, 2017 23:19 IST
Ipsita Pati
Ipsita Pati
Hindustan Times
Medanta- The Medicity,dengue death,fortis hospital
Stagnant rain water, perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes, at the non-functional sewage treatment plant near the Municipal Corporation of Gurugram (MCG) office. (Sanjeev Verma/HT file photo)

A police complaint was lodged on Friday against a private hospital in Gurgaon for medical negligence leading to the death of a seven-year-old boy suffering from dengue on November 22.

The complaint comes as the city police investigate a similar case filed by Jayant Singh, father of seven-year-old who died of dengue at Fortis Hospital in Gurgaon, against the hospital and doctors concerned for medical negligence.

The deceased boy, Shaurya, was admitted to Medanta-The Medicity in Sector 38 of Gurgaon from October 29 to November 20. He was then referred to the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) hospital, his father Bhupender Singh Parmar said in his complaint lodged at the Sadar police station.

In his complaint, Parmar, a resident of Dholpur in Rajasthan, stated that his son was suffering from dengue when he was admitted to the private hospital in Gurgaon. Shaurya was referred to RML in New Delhi when his condition did not improve even after 22 days, the complaint states.

Parmar’s complaint states that his son died because he did not get proper treatment for which they spent ₹15 lakh in Medanta.

Police said they have initiated investigation and will send a copy of the complaint to the chief medical officer, Gurgaon, before filing an FIR. “The family came to us on Friday with the complaint and we are looking into the case. We will contact the health department for verification in this case,” inspector Vijay Kumar, station house officer of Sadar police station, said.

When contacted, the medical superintendent of Medanta said Shaurya was given the best treatment possible.

“Shaurya was suffering from dengue shock syndrome, among other complications, when he was admitted to the hospital. He was given adequate treatment based on his condition and was then transferred to RML. We are not aware of any (police) complaint in this matter. However, we will fully cooperate with any investigating agency,” AK Dubey, medical superintendent, Medanta-The Medicity, said.

First Published: Dec 22, 2017 23:19 IST