Gurgaon police question staff of luxury hotel in Fortis dengue death case, collect CCTV footage

Father of girl who died of dengue alleged that hospital staff, on the pretext of discussing his daughters’ treatment, met him at a five-star hotel on November 24 and offered him money to remain silent

gurgaon Updated: Dec 20, 2017 23:52 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Fortis Hospital,Gurgaon,CCTV
Jayant Singh, father of seven-year-old Adya Singh, who died of dengue at city’s Fortis Hospital in September 2017. (Parveen Kumar/HT File Photo)

Police on Wednesday gathered CCTV footage and questioned the staff of the luxury hotel in Udyog Vihar, where father of the dengue death victim claimed to have met representatives of the Fortis Hospital management who offered him money to close the case.

Jayant Singh, father of the seven-year-old who died of dengue in September, had alleged that the Fortis Hospital staff, on the pretext of discussing his daughters’ treatment, met him in the lobby of a five-star hotel on November 24, and that this meeting could be confirmed by obtaining the CCTV footage.

“At this meeting, he (hospital representative) bought with him a cheque of ₹10,37,899 and made a verbal offer to give me ₹25,00,000 on the agreement that I promise to remain silent about the criminal offences carried out by the doctors responsible for medical treatment,” read Singh’s statement in the inquiry report.

Taking to Hindustan Times on Wednesday, Singh said, “I have submitted my statement to the police. Hope they will take action against the people responsible for the death of my daughter.”

Sushant Lok station house officer Gaurav Phogat said police have procured the CCTV footage from all prime locations, which the victim’s father had mentioned in his complaint.

“We have questioned the staff of the hotel in Udyog Vihar about the meeting which the victim’s father had mentioned in his statement. We are investigating if the meeting took place in the hotel and if any staffers saw anything,” Phogat said.

Singh had alleged that his daughter died because of medical negligence by the hospital.

Controversy erupted after Adya’s family said they were charged ₹16 lakh for the treatment. A government probe indicted the hospital for grave negligence, lapse, unethical and unlawful act, and found it minted very high profit margin in other consumables.

An FIR was lodged on December 9 under Section 304 (2) of the IPC, which carries a maximum punishment of 10 years, against one of the doctors of the hospital who was involved in the treatment of seven-year-old Adya Singh. On December 15, the police added Section 188 in the case against the hospital for failing to report dengue case to the government authorities.

Later, Singh alleged that though he had mentioned 18 names and also the hospital management in his complaint, the police had not included them all in the FIR.

Responding to Singh’s allegations that he was offered money to settle the case, the Fortis Hospital had said earlier: “We categorically deny assertions or allegations of any bribe being paid to Mr Jayant Singh, father of Late Baby Adya Singh who was treated for Dengue Shock Syndrome at Fortis Memorial Research Institute. Fortis did offer a refund of the out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the family, in good faith. Furthermore, consequent to articulation of the family’s financial position by the father, we offered an additional amount purely as a humanitarian gesture. A written and signed statement has been submitted to inquiry panel.”

First Published: Dec 20, 2017 23:52 IST