Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 20, 2018-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gurgaon: Two women raped in moving car, 5 held

Two young women were brutally raped and assaulted in a moving cab for more than two hours as they tried to make their way back from a pub in Gurgaon. Leena Dhankhar reports.

gurgaon Updated: Jun 28, 2013 11:48 IST
Leena Dhankhar
Leena Dhankhar
Hindustan Times
rape,Club 18,Vipul Agora

The city police on Thursday arrested five people on charges of raping two women in a moving car late on Wednesday night. The arrested have been identified as Devender, Pramod Kumar, Satish Kumar, Arrish Khan and Devender Kumar, all natives of Mahindergarh in Haryana.

While two other accused are absconding, the police have seized the Tata Indica car which escorted the Toyota Corolla Altis car in which the rape took place.

“The accused were arrested from a rented house in Nathupur. Four of them are cab drivers and the other a helper at a taxi stand,” said Alok Mittal, Gurgaon police commissioner.

The victims, both residents of Tughlakabad in Delhi, had been to a pub on MG Road and reportedly boarded a cab at 12.30am. Speaking exclusively to HT, one of the victims said, “When the car stopped at a traffic signal, two men boarded the car. It was all planned.”

“The women were raped inside the moving car for almost two hours till the car halted briefly on Sector 57 extension road. One of the victims jumped out, ran towards a security guard nearby and called the police control room from his mobile phone,” said Maheshwar Dayal, joint commissioner of police, Gurgaon.

After the woman escaped, the accused panicked and drove for another 10-15 minutes before dumping the other victim. The victims were then taken to Gurgaon Civil Hospital where doctors confirmed rape. A case was registered at Sector 29 police station.

On interrogation, the accused claimed the incident was meant to teach a lesson to the victims with whom they had a financial dispute.

First Published: Jun 27, 2013 16:00 IST