Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 19, 2019-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Pataudi killings survivor tells cops ‘bad uncle’ killed father, grandma

The main accused is a cousin of the boy’s mother, details of whose identity the police have refused to share. He was detained late on Wednesday.

gurgaon Updated: Aug 31, 2018 12:26 IST
Leena Dhankhar
Leena Dhankhar
Hindustan Times, Gurugram
gurugram,brijpura,pataudi murders
A policeman comes out of the house in Brijpura, Pataudi, where four members of a family were murdered on Wednesday.(Parveen Kumar / HT Photo )

The Gurugram police, on Thursday, said they had cracked the Pataudi murder case after the three-year-old son of the deceased—the lone survivor of a brutal attack in which his parents, grandmother and one-year-old sister lost their lives—helped them identify the accused, who has been arrested.

“The boy told us that his uncle had killed his papa and dadi and he was a bad uncle,” police commissioner KK Rao said.

The boy’s father Manish (28), mother Pinky (23), grandmother Phoolwati (62) were found dead in Brijpura village of Pataudi late on Wednesday. His one-year-old sister, who suffered a head injury was alive when the police reached the spot, but died while undergoing treatment at a private hospital. While the rest were attacked and found lying in a pool of blood, Pinky was found hanging, police said.

The main accused is a cousin of the boy’s mother, details of whose identity the police have refused to share. He was detained late on Wednesday along with one of Pinky’s brothers, who had changed his blood-stained clothes and tried to mislead the police. The latter was released by the police before cremation on Thursday.

A case of murder under section 302(Murder) of Indian Penal Code was registered against unidentified persons on Wednesday night at Pataudi police station, and the police is interrogating Pinky’s cousin, who had been living with the family for the last fortnight.

Police said the exact motive of the crime was not known yet as the accused has been changing his statements, but said that so many stab wounds suggest the crime was carried out in a fit of rage. “They must be either very angry or Manish must have tried to fend off the attacker(s),” Rajesh Kumar, deputy commissioner of police (Manesar).

Investigators said a property dispute could have led to the crime as the accused was going through a financial crisis. “There is a possibility that he murdered over property dispute as he had recently bought land with Manish. He shared good bond with Pinky and was annoyed with Manish for his aggressive behaviour towards his wife. The accused had threatened to kill all the family members during a panchayat gathering on Tuesday after Pinky was reportedly assaulted by Manish,” Kumar said.

After questioning several persons from family and village in connection with the murder suspects, police said that victims may have been stabbed to death after a tiff with the accused. “There were struggle marks on the spot and more than one person was involved in the murder,” said DCP Rajesh Kumar.

“The forensic team visited the spot and scanned the area for more evidence. No CCTV cameras was installed which could give us any lead, but the statement of the toddler, the lone survivor of the family and the timings of the accused led to his arrest,” commissioner of police KK Rao said.

Police suspect that the three-year-old may have also witnessed the murder after he returned home from school on Wednesday afternoon.

Rao said the boy had returned from school around 2.30pm and the accused was seen exiting the house around 3pm by the neighbours. “There is a possibility that the boy may have seen his uncle inside the house and so he identified him as the accused. It is possible that he had hid in a corner (during the incident) and the accused might not have seen him which could explain how the boy escaped,” Rao said.

The boy is reported to have he slept next to his father’s body on the bed after the crime and when police entered the house around 8.45pm, he got up and went near the body of his grandmother.

“He told his aunt that he slept next to his father after he returned from school and woke up in the evening. He did not switch on the lights or did not come out until we went inside the house with the police team,” said Singh.

Police said the boy is with his relatives but is in a state of panic. He spoke to his relatives hours after he was brought out of the house on Wednesday night, police said. Singh said that though the boy knows his parents are no more, he has not spoken much.

Meanwhile, Pinky’s father Ram Niwas, who was present at the mortuary, said they were not aware of any serious issue plaguing his daughter’s family. “There are minor issues in all families, but why would anyone kill the entire family? What was the fault of Pinky’s daughter?” said Niwas. who works with Haryana Shahari Vikas Pradhikaran (HSVP).

Niwas, who was informed of the incident by villagers, said all members of his family were financially sound.

First Published: Aug 31, 2018 12:26 IST