Pregnant woman loses unborn child to dengue
Thirty-year-old Pooja (name changed on request) paid with what could be more costlier than her life for being infected with dengue. Pooja, who was eight-week pregnant, had to abort her foetus after her platelet count dropped, Himabindu Reddy reports.gurgaon Updated: Oct 14, 2012 00:50 IST
Thirty-year-old Pooja (name changed on request) paid with what could be more costlier than her life for being infected with dengue. Pooja, who was eight-week pregnant, had to abort her foetus after her platelet count dropped.
Pooja was admitted to the Alchemist hospital here four days back with a low platelet count.
“On Saturday, the doctors noticed vaginal bleeding, which made us decide to abort the foetus to save her life,” said Dr Lokesh Pant, senior consultant internal medicine at Alchemist hospital.
However, Pooja remained critical with her platelet count dropping further from one lakh to 66,000. The normal platelet count in per micro litre of human blood is 1.5 lakh to 4.5 lakh.
Explaining the necessity for a spontaneous abortion, Pant said, “Since Pooja was pregnant, the risk was higher. Any drastic change in the body/blood composition would have proven risky for the foetus,” he added.
The housewife from Jaikampura, Old Gurgaon, is a mother of two.
“I have earlier managed similar cases wherein two pregnant women tested positive for dengue. But there was no need for an abortion,” added Pant.
On another bed of the hospital, a 21-year-old man is fighting to survive against the deadly virus. Ironically, his mother had succumbed to the vector-borne disease just a week before this. Doctors said he is in a critical condition now.
The man, who hails from Nathupur village, was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Alchemist Hospital on Saturday morning with a platelet count as low as 17,000.
He was brought to the hospital after he complained of cough with streaks of blood in it. His 45-year-old mother died at Sunrise hospital after her platelet count dropped to 40,000. “The family says that she was admitted to the hospital on September 24 after suffering from high fever,” said Pant.
The man had lost is father six years ago. He was a welder in Orissa and was electrocuted while working. Now, the 21-year-old man lives with his maternal uncle, who is a doctor in the village.
First Published: Oct 14, 2012 00:14 IST