Ryan murder: A small victory in a long war, says Pradhyumn’s father

The juvenile, on the other hand, broke into tears immediately after the order was pronounced. His father said he would challenge the order in a higher court.

gurgaon Updated: Dec 22, 2017 08:31 IST
Leena Dhankhar
Leena Dhankhar
Hindustan Times
ryan,gurgaon,delhi
Eight-year-old Pradhyuman Thakur who was found dead in Ryan International school toilet in Maruti Kunj on September 8. (Parveen Kumar/HT Photo)

Barun Chandra Thakur, the father of Class 2 student Pradhyumn Thakur — who was murdered on September 8 inside Ryan International School, Bhondsi — heaved a sigh of relief on Wednesday as the Juvenile Justice Board Gurgaon announced that the 16-year-old juvenile will be tried as an adult.

The first battle in a long war had been won, he stated.

The juvenile, on the other hand, broke in tears immediately after the order was pronounced. His father said he would challenge the order in a higher court.

“It was the first step towards justice. I want the culprits to be punished. I have lost my son but I do not want any other parent to suffer like this. The journey has been tough since September 8. The memories of my son will not let me rest till justice is delivered”, said Thakur.

He added that the going has been difficult.

“It is difficult to live in that house. It is difficult to face my wife, who with her tearful eyes is waiting for justice. Today’s order will hopefully be a reminder for parents to a check on their children and ensure that they do not end up on the wrong side of law,” said Thakur.

The accused juvenile’s father, on the other hand, was full of tears after the order was pronounced. The CBI had apprehended his son on November 7 and the boy has been lodged in an Observation Home in Faridabad since November 11.

“The board has been very harsh on my son. My son was hopeful that he will get some respite after giving his statement to the probation officer. But all of that went in vain. He is disheartened,” said the juvenile’s father after the board’s order.

Fourty two-year-old bus conductor, Ashok Kumar, who was arrested by Gurgaon police for the murder and later procured bail, also said he was relieved.

“I spent sleepless nights wondering about my fate after being accused of this horrible crime. But, for a poor man like me, it was tough proving my innocence. My life has been affected as people still look at me with suspicion”, said Kumar. He added that he is waiting for the day when he is discharged from the case.

First Published: Dec 20, 2017 23:42 IST