Tragedy averted: Alert guard at Gurgaon housing complex spots smoke on school bus
On January 30, a bus belonging to Amity International School in Sector 43, carrying 35 students and four staff members, caught fire near the Huda City Centre metro station.gurgaon Updated: Apr 19, 2017 22:18 IST
A bus belonging to a private school in South City 1, carrying three students apart from the driver and conductor, caught fire opposite Park View Residency on Palam Vihar Road on Wednesday afternoon. However, a major tragedy was averted thanks to timely action by a 23-year-old alert fire technician of the residential society who rushed to the spot along with fire extinguishers.
The incident took place around 1:30pm when the bus was about to drop a student at Park View Residency, Sector 3, after dropping off students at Palam Vihar.
The fire technician and security guards of the residential society were at the main gate when they noticed smoke coming out of the bonnet of the bus and immediately raised the alarm. Vicky Vashisht, the fire technician, rushed to the spot, followed by the guards and more maintenance staff carrying fire extinguishers. They immediately evacuated the bus and asked the driver and conductor to jump out.
The parents who were waiting for their child at the condominium immediately informed the school authorities regarding the incident and the two other students were shifted to another bus of the school on the same route.
“When we reached the bus, the driver and conductor were nervous and had no idea what to do. We immediately removed the students and doused the engine with fire extinguisher. A big mishap was averted,” said Bir Singh Chauhan, general manager of maintenance, Park View Residency.
“The parents were worried after the incident and informed the school management. A tow-away vehicle was also called to take the bus to the workshop,” said Vashisht.
According to the school staff, the incident took place due to a short circuit in the engine. No injury was reported and the bus was sent to a workshop for repair.
On January 30, a bus belonging to Amity International School in Sector 43, carrying 35 students and four staff members, caught fire near the Huda City Centre metro station. The children were rescued in time and no injuries were reported. However, the bus was badly burnt in the incident.
First Published: Apr 19, 2017 22:18 IST