Keeping up with daddy: Junior McClane
Playing the son of an iconic character in a popular film series is never easy, as the actor is then entrusted with the responsibility of carrying forward the legacy of the franchise. Actor Jai Courtney faced the same predicament when he signed on to play Jack McClane, son of John McClane — the famous character played by actor Bruce Willis in the Die Hard series — in the latest installment of the franchise, A Good Day to Die Hard, that releases today.
The 26-year-old Jai, who has starred in the hit TV show Spartacus and the film Jack Reacher, talks about his role, working with Bruce and more.
What is your role like?
Jack is in the middle of a sting, there’s a deal going on between some corrupt officials in the Russian government and we can track the story back to Chernobyl and some criminal dealings that happened with weapons-grade uranium. It centres on greed and corruption and the CIA’s attempt to prevent a disastrous event from occuring. And John shows up in the middle of that, trying to get Jack out of trouble.
In the film, is Jack like his dad?
They are vastly different, but also very similar. I think Jack thinks of himself as a very different person, but he’s really just a chip off the old block.
How was it like working with Bruce Willis?
There’s that initial thought of ‘This is Bruce Willis!’ You just try to be respectful. It would probably have been a disaster had I totally got wound up and been star-struck. But we had a ball. Bruce is a lovely and funny guy.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.
- One Night in Miami movie review: Debutante director Regina King extracts terrific performances from her four leading men, in a high-concept drama about power and responsibility.
- Bruce Willis was clicked without a mask at a pharmacy in Los Angeles on Monday. He later said that it was an 'error in judgment'.
- First footage from high-profile upcoming films starring Chris Hemsworth, Leonardo DiCaprio, Dwayne Johnson, Melissa McCarthy, Amy Adams, and others, has been revealed by Netflix.