MET Gala 2020 postponed due to coronavirus outbreak
One of the fashions’ glitzy-filled events of the year, the Met Gala, which was previously scheduled on May 4, 2020, has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak. The move has been taken as a measure to combat the spread of the contagious virus and it is one among the cancelled and postponed cultural events around the world due to coronavirus.
“Due to the unavoidable and responsible decision by the Metropolitan Museum to close its doors, About Time, and the opening night gala, will be postponed to a later date,” wrote Vogue magazine editor Anna Wintour.
Reported by CNN, the annual red carpet event, hosted by Conde Nast’s Anna Wintour, is a celebrity-packed fundraiser for The Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The event has been held, without fail since 2005, on the first Monday in May.
Watch - Coronavirus: Katrnia Kaif, Priyanka Chopra advise fans to stay at home amid lockdown
On Friday the Metropolitan Museum announced it would be shutting its doors temporarily, causing speculation that the gala would not be held as planned. In a follow-up statement sent to CNN on Monday a spokesperson wrote: “The Museum will remain closed through Saturday, April 4.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has advised over the weekend that there should not be any gatherings of 50 people or more for the next eight weeks. Many of the Hollywood events, concerts and programmes have been called off adhering to the advice.
However, the Zee Cine Awards were held in Mumbai on Friday. It was a star-studded gala with dance performances by Hrithik Roshan and Ranveer Singh. For the sake of caution, the general public was not allowed entry, and there was no red carpet either.
Meanwhile, the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards were cancelled because of the spreading coronavirus. The organisers said in a statement that the decision to call off the show was taken “with due regard to growing concerns” around the spread of COVID-19, while keeping the health and safety of fans and the general community. A fresh date and plans for hosting IIFA in Madhya Pradesh will be announced at the earliest,” it added.
(With HT inputs)
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Billie Eilish The World’s a Little Blurry movie review: Apple's brilliant documentary traces the meteoric rise of the music industry's most mercurial performer.
- The fans of Harry Potter star Emma Watson were shocked as a report hinted that the actor has given up her career in acting and is devoting her time to her boyfriend.
- The first teaser for director Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie film, Army of the Dead, has been released. Dave Bautista leads the cast, which also features Huma Qureshi, although she isn't seen in the teaser.
- Actor Gal Gadot has said that she was on the verge of giving up acting when she was cast in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as Wonder Woman. Read her nostalgic post.
- Kim Kardashian took to her Instagram account and remembered her father Robert Kardashian on his birth anniversary. Sister Khloe Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian also shared photos.
- I Care a Lot movie review: Rosamund Pike is in proper Gone Girl mode in director J Blakeson's devilishly entertaining dark comedy, out on Netflix.