Elections LIVE: Congress issues fresh list for Uttarakhand polls, Harish Rawat to contest from Ramnagar
- Assembly Election 2022 Live Updates: Voting in all five states will be held in seven phases. The counting will take place on March 10.
A total of five states – Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur and Goa – are set to hold the assembly elections in the coming weeks.
In Uttar Pradesh, the Samajwadi Party (SP) is geared for a battle against the Yogi Adityanath-led Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government to wrest power. The party announced that patron Mulayam Singh Yadav, SP chief Akhilesh Yadav and new entrant Swami Prasad Maurya are among its 30 star campaigners for the first phase of the UP assembly election.
Former Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh, who recently launched his own party, announced the first list of 22 candidates of the newly-formed Punjab Lok Congress for the upcoming Assembly polls.
The Congress government in Punjab said it will decide on the chief ministerial face after the polls, although the party will fight the election under the leadership of Navjot Singh Sidhu, Charanjit Singh Channi and Sunil Jakhar.
The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has expanded its reach forming a crucial opposition party in Punjab and Goa. Meanwhile, in Uttarakhand and Manipur, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is confident of returning to power.
As per the schedule of the Election Commission, the polling for the five states will be held in seven phases, with the first phase commencing from February 10 and the last phase ending on March 7.
The counting will take place on March 10.
Follow all the updates here:
Jan 24, 2022 09:54 PM IST
Congress releases another list of 11 candidates for Uttarakhand polls
Jan 24, 2022 06:50 PM IST
Samajwadi Party issues list of candidates for UP polls, Azam Khan in fray
Jan 24, 2022 03:37 PM IST
Punjab polls: NDA announces seat-sharing; BJP to contest 65 seats
Jan 24, 2022 03:07 PM IST
Congress issues list of 30 star campaigners for first phase of UP polls
Jan 24, 2022 12:56 PM IST
Arvind Kejriwal launches AAP's ‘Ek Mauka AAP Ko’ campaign for upcoming assembly polls
Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal launches AAP’s campaign 'Ek Mauka AAP Ko' as his party prepares to fight polls in Punjab, Goa, Uttarakhand & Uttar Pradesh.
“The people of Delhi can make videos telling people from other states about the work done by AAP and appeal to them to give Kejriwal/AAP a chance, ahead of polls. Upload these videos on social media. After polls, I will have dinner with 50 Delhiites whose videos will go viral,” Kejriwal said.
Jan 24, 2022 12:41 PM IST
Allotting ticket to Sukhpal ‘too far’: Punjab Cong min writes to Sonia Gandhi
Punjab Minister Rana Gurjeet Singh on Monday wrote to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi "to intervene into the allotment of party ticket from Bholath to Sukhpal Singh Khaira, demands his expulsion by calling him "a tainted minister."
Jan 24, 2022 12:38 PM IST
Congress CEC to meet and finalise candidates for Punjab, Uttarakhand polls
Congress CEC to meet today for the selection of candidates for Punjab Assembly elections. The CEC will also decide today on the remaining list of the candidates for the Uttarakhand polls.
Jan 24, 2022 11:15 AM IST
UP CM Yogi Adityanath arrived at BJP headquarters in Delhi
Jan 24, 2022 11:06 AM IST
‘People haven’t forgotten the hooliganism during your govt': UP deputy CM slams Akhilesh Yadav
Uttar Pradesh deputy chief minister Keshav Prasad Maurya on Monday targeted Samajwadi Party (SP) president Akhilesh Yadav by saying that voters of the poll-bound state will not fall for his 'alluring bluff' as they have got used to good governance.
Accusing Akhilesh, the former UP chief minister, for spreading riots and hooliganism, Maurya tweeted, "Akhilesh Yadav ji, the people have not forgotten the pain of riots, hooliganism, exodus during your government. Your tenure has not been forgotten even today that was responsible for corruption, religious and caste conflicts. As of now, the public has got used to good governance. Now no one will fall for your alluring bluff."
Jan 24, 2022 10:31 AM IST
Congress set to launch Uttarakhand poll campaign today
The Congress is all set to launch its poll campaign for Uttarakhand at 1pm today. Chhattisgarh chief minister Bhupesh Baghel will headline the campaign.
Jan 24, 2022 08:13 AM IST
Punjab elections: Valuables worth ₹46.66 crore, over 6 lakh litres of liquor seized in violation of code
Various enforcement teams have seized valuables worth ₹46.66 crores for violation of the code till January 18, after the Model Code of Conduct came into force in Punjab. Moreover, the surveillance teams have also seized 6.60 lakh litres of liquor worth ₹2 crore.
Jan 24, 2022 07:30 AM IST
UP polls: BJP to hold CEC meeting to decide on remaining candidates
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had on Sunday held a marathon meeting of its core members to decide on the remaining candidates of Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls. A meeting of the Central Election Committee is expected soon.
- Bypoll results 2022: Bypolls were conducted in four assembly seats and one Lok Sabha seat across Bihar, Chhattishgarh, Maharashtra and West Bengal.
- Agnimitra Paul urged police, local officials and the election commission to keep a check on post-poll violence in the state.
- The bypoll for the Bochachan seat was required after the death of Paswan's father Musafir Paswan, who won the seat on the Vikassheel Insaan Party's ticket.
- As per the latest trend, Shatrughan Sinha is leading by nearly 9,000 votes in the Asansol Lok Sabha seat while Babul Supriyo is leading by more than 4,600 votes in the Ballygunge assembly constituency.
- By-poll results 2022 highlights: In a massive victory, the Trinamool Congress has swept the by-elections in Bengal from the Asansol lok sabha seat and the Ballygunge assembly seat. The Congress swept Maharashtra's Kolhapur North, while the RJD claimed Bihar win.
- UP MLC Election Result 2022 highlights: The counting of votes is currently underway. BJP is looking for a clean sweep in the legislative council elections, with already nine seats won unopposed.
- Daughter of former chief minister of Uttarakhand Major General (Retd) Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, Ritu Khanduri won the 2022 assembly elections by defeating Congress' Surendra Singh Negi from the Kotdwar seat by a margin of 3,687 votes.
- Odisha Urban Body Elections Result 2022 highlights: The Biju Janata Dal has swept the municipal bodies elections, winning 95 out of 108 municipalities.