Govt lied to SC about compensation, say Manipur fake encounter victims
The kin of 28 victims of extrajudicial killings in Manipur have accused the state government of lying to the apex court on payment of compensation.Updated: Jul 19, 2016 13:40 IST
Ten days after the Supreme Court restrained the armed forces from using excessive force even in areas where Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act of 1958 is in force, the kin of 28 victims of extrajudicial killings in Manipur have accused the state government of lying to the apex court on payment of compensation.
The SC had on December 8, 2015 ordered the Manipur government to pay, within four months, a compensation of Rs 5 lakh to the survivors of each of the extrajudicial victims. Last week, the government told the SC that it not only complied with the order but also paid Rs 50,000 more to the family of each deceased.
“We have not received any compensation from the government till date,” Kh Lata Devi, a representative of the 28 families said, adding they tried in vain to meet additional chief secretary J Suresh Babu for an update.
“We submitted all the required documents along with photocopies of bank passbooks and account statements needed for transferring money. There is something wrong somewhere or the SC must have been given wrong information,” Lata said.
A government spokesperson said the allegation would be looked into. But he said the government had issued an order on June 6 sanctioning Rs 1,54,00,000 for payment of compensation. This works out to Rs 5.50 lakh for each of the victims’ families.
First Published: Jul 19, 2016 13:39 IST