Nearly 70% of India’s Covid-19 cases come from five states including Uttar Pradesh: State tally
Another day and another steep spike in Covid-19 cases in India as the country’s tally rose to 440,215 on Tuesday with over 14,000 fresh infections reported in the last 24 hours. The number of recoveries also touched another high with nearly 11,000 patients getting cured in the last 24 hours. So far, over 2.48 people have recovered from the disease across India while over 14,000 have succumbed to death.
Nearly 70 percent of India’s total coronavirus cases come from the top five states that include Maharashtra, Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh.
Together, these states account for over 3 lakh cases of the country’s total 4.4 lakh cases - nearly 70 percent.
Here’s a look at the statewise breakup of coronavirus situation
With over 1.3 lakh cases, Maharashtra’s tally is officially more than that of countries like Canada, Bangladesh and others. Over 67,706 people have recovered from coronavirus in Maharashtra while 6,283 have died. Mumbai continues to be the worst affected city with over 66,000 cases.
The situation in the national capital paints a grim picture as the cases here have now crossed the 60,000-mark. Delhi has 62,655 positive cases with 36,602 recovered patients and 2,233 fatalities.
Tamil Nadu stands third on the tally with 62,087 coronavirus cases. The state has seen seven hundred and ninety-four coronavirus fatalities while 34,112 have recovered.
In Gujarat, the Covid-19 rose to 27,825 on Tuesday. The state has seen 19,909 people recover from coronavirus while 1,684 people have died.
Uttar Pradesh is the fifth top affected state. The Covid-19 tally here has jumped to 18,322 while the number of recoveries has touched 11,601. The state’s death toll stands at 569.
Rajasthan, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh and Haryana have over 10,000 coronavirus cases but less than 20,000.
States with under 10,000 cases
The southern Indian state of Karnataka has witnessed over 9,000 coronavirus cases till date with 142 fatalities. Covid-19 cases in Bihar stand at 7,825 while Andhra Pradesh has reported 9,372 Covid-19 cases till date.
Telangana has 8,674 coronavirus cases while the Covid-19 tally in Jammu and Kashmir stands at 6,088. In Odisha, cases have jumped to 5,303 while Assam has reported 5,586 cases till date. Punjab’s Covid-19 tally has crossed the 4,000-mark. Covid-19 cases in Kerala are more than 3,000.
States with less than 3,000 cases
Uttarakhand, Ladakh, Jharkhand, Tripura, Manipur, Goa and Himachal Pradesh are states where coronavirus cases are less than 3,000, but more than 500.
Mizoram, Chandigarh, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Puducherry have reported under 500 Covid-19 cases or less. In states like Meghalaya, Sikkim, Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Dadra Nagar Haveli have less than 100 Covid-19 cases.
Note: Figures are from official data released by the Ministry of Health, and may differ from realtime numbers released by various state governments subject to confirmation from the Centre.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The family of the man who was shot dead alleged that he was a victim of infighting in the local unit of the Trinamool Congress.
- Shrikant Sharma, a retired deputy commandant of Special Armed Force of the Madhya Pradesh police, had earlier objected to the setting up of an office of the RSS for the Ram Temple fund collection drive in his neighborhood.
- The woman's father had earlier lodged a First Information Report (FIR) against the youth from Karnataka for allegedly kidnapping his daughter and forcing her to change religion.
- The Speaker had initiated proceedings under anti-defection laws to decide if the merger of Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) led by Babulal Marandi into the BJP in February, 2020, was valid.
- “There is no chance of her joining. She is not in the AIADMK party,” Palaniswami told reporters.
- The party leadership had reportedly told three senior leaders (Chandy, Chennithala and Ramachandran) who were summoned to Delhi two days ago that winning the election was top priority and to give more importance to the party than factions.
- Against the backdrop of China’s assertive actions amid the Covid-19 pandemic, India has stepped up cooperation with its partners to oppose unilateral actions and protect the freedom of navigation and overflight across the Indo-Pacific.