Presidential polls: Sena announces support for NDA candidate Ram Nath Kovind
Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray on Tuesday announced the party’s support to National Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate Ram Nath Kovind for the post of president.
The Sena’s announcement comes as an additional support for the ruling BJP which has already received adequate backing from constituents of the NDA as well as non-NDA parties such as Biju Janata Dal and Telangana Rashtra Samiti to Kovind’s candidature.
The decision was announced by Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray after a crucial 90-minute meeting with his senior party leaders at his Bandra home.
“We are supporting Ram Nathji’s candidature and our best wishes are with him,” Thackeray told a crowded media conference.
Thackeray said that RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat was still his first choice for the post of president, but since the BJP picked Kovind as its candidate, Sena would lend its support.
The Sena’s decision comes two days after BJP chief Amit Shah visited Thackeray’s residence and had a brief chat with him.
(With agency inputs)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Cryptocurrency is, however, not legally banned and the government is in the process of enacting a law on this matter.
- The PM asked the three services to rid themselves of legacy systems and practices that are no longer relevant.
- According to the police, some young men were dancing at the DJ night in a wedding ceremony, during which one of the accused pointed the pistol at the forehead of another youth.
- In January this year, Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde ruled out any reopening of courts for the present.
- The chargesheet was filed on Friday before a special NIA court against the accused persons-Bishnu Narzary, Nitul Daimary and Runiluish Daimary under several sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Indian Penal Code and Arms Act.
- Rai said that door-to-door collection of funds for the Ram Temple construction has also been stopped.
- The central government has also rushed high-level multi-disciplinary public health teams to Maharashtra and Punjab in view of the increase in the number of daily new Covid-19 cases being reported by these states.