Quoting of Aadhaar number mandatory for resident Indians only, CBDT clarifies
Mandatory quoting of Aadhaar number or providing proof of application for the same will be applicable only to “resident Indians,” the government said on Wednesday.
As per the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016, only a resident individual is entitled to obtain Aadhaar.
A resident, as defined in the act, is a person who has resided in India for a period amounting in total to 182 days or more in the 12 months immediately preceding the date of application for enrolment.
“Accordingly, the requirement to quote Aadhaar as per section 139AA of the Income Tax Act shall not apply to an individual who is not a resident as per the Aadhaar Act, 2016,” a statement issued by the finance ministry said.
The government has come under criticism from the opposition parties for making Aadhaar mandatory for filing income tax returns.
Amarpal Chadha, tax partner and India mobility leader, EY said the move was positive.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A candidate questioned by MPPEB allowed a tainted company to conduct the exam. The same company was blacklisted by UP after a question paper of recruitment exam for sub-inspectors got leaked in 2017, he alleged.
- Justice Gautam Patel on Tuesday heard a defamation suit filed by model and actor Sakshi Malik against Venkateshwara Creations Pvt Ltd for allegedly using her photograph without permission in their movie.
- With today’s vaccination, the President joins the ranks of statesmen and politicians who have gotten vaccinated since the second phase of vaccination started on March 1.
- The Chief Minister appealed to all eligible people to come forward and get themselves vaccinated.
- The amendment also empowers the Central government to auction mines, which the states have failed to auction. Of the 143 such mines listed for auctioning, states have auctioned only 7 since 2015, the amendment said.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.