Bullet train will need 100 daily trips to be financially viable: Study | Latest News India - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

Bullet train will need 100 daily trips to be financially viable: Study

PTI | By, Ahmedabad
Apr 19, 2016 01:12 AM IST

The report states if Railways set the ticket price at Rs 1,500 for 300-km drive per person 15 years after the operation, it will have to ferry between 88,000 and 110,000 passengers every day to ensure it repays the loans on time.

The proposed bullet train between Mumbai and Ahmedabad will have to ferry 88,000-118,000 passengers per day, or undertake 100 trips daily, for the Railways to keep it financially viable, according to a report by the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIM-A).

In file photo, passengers are seen boarding on the Shinkansen high-speed train at Tokyo station.(AP)
In file photo, passengers are seen boarding on the Shinkansen high-speed train at Tokyo station.(AP)

The report states if Railways set the ticket price at Rs 1,500 for 300-km drive per person 15 years after the operation, it will have to ferry between 88,000 and 110,000 passengers every day to ensure it repays the loans on time.

Hindustan Times - your fastest source for breaking news! Read now.

Japan has offered a concessional loan of Rs 97,636 crore to fund 80% of the project. For the remaining 20%, the authors assume an 8% average rate of interest (on Rs 20,000 crore to be funded by Centre). Japan has offered a 15-year moratorium on loan, so revenue concerns will arise from the 16th year. The paper was jointly authored by faculty members G Raghuram, professor of the institute’s Public Systems Group, and Prashanth Udayakumar.

Fifteen years after the train becomes operational, the paper assumes two scenarios by pegging operating cost at 20% and 40% of revenue. “If Railways earn Rs 100, Rs 20 or Rs 40 will go for maintenance, and remaining for cash payment of loan. To cover the loan with operating cost in two scenarios, we consider passengers travelling an average 300km. So we will need 88K-118K passengers respectively for both scenarios,” Raghuram said.

Unveiling 'Elections 2024: The Big Picture', a fresh segment in HT's talk show 'The Interview with Kumkum Chadha', where leaders across the political spectrum discuss the upcoming general elections. Watch Now!

Get Updates on India News, Farmers Protest Live alongwith the Latest News and Top Headlines from India and around the the world.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, February 23, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On