Haryana: Five die cleaning well in Jind’s Nidana village
The five persons went down the well in Nidana village to clean it and died due to poisonous gas inside, police said.india Updated: May 17, 2016 13:19 IST
Five persons died after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a well in Haryana’s Jind district, police said.
The five persons went down the well in Nidana village on Monday to clean it and died due to poisonous gas inside, police said.
The deceased have been identified as Mohan (18), Dinesh (18), Sanjay (20), Sukhchain (20) and Mahipal (35), all residents of Nidana village.
Police said it took four hours to retrieve the bodies.
According to villagers, as the residents of Dhanak Colony were facing acute shortage of drinking water, the five decided to clean the well which was in a state of disuse.
The district collector announced an ex-gratia of Rs five lakh to the next of kin of the deceased.
The bodies were handed over to their families after postmortem.
First Published: May 17, 2016 13:19 IST