India replies to Pak queries
The Mumbai police have submitted answers to Pakistan’s 30 questions on the 26/11 Mumbai terror strike dossier to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).india Updated: Mar 08, 2009 01:15 IST
The Mumbai police have submitted answers to Pakistan’s 30 questions on the 26/11 Mumbai terror strike dossier to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
In reply to an issue of ambiguity raised by Pakistan over the GPS data provided in the dossier, the police said the GPS set seized from Hotel Taj has data of 50 places in Karachi, Pakistan.
Also, the digital map recovered from the GPS set abandoned on MV Kuber, on which the 10 terrorists had sailed to the Mumbai coast, has data of coordinates to help them sail from Karachi to Mumbai.
In reply to the query over the DNA profiles of the 10 terrorists who had attacked Mumbai on the night of November 26, 2008, the police said the DNA samples of all accused, including the nine dead, were taken by forensic experts and articles recovered from MV Kuber such as jackets, skull caps, blankets and Israeli caps analysed.
And the DNA samples of Abu Ismail, Javed alias Abu Ali, Abdul Rehman Chotta, Nazir alias Abu Umar and Hafiz Arshad alias Abdul Rehman Bada and Kasab have matched with the articles seized from trawler.
However, India will not share any further evidence with Pakistan on the terror strike, till the latter seeks information through a judicial request in the form of a Letter of Rogatory (see box) from the Pakistani court.
This decision stems from the MHA, which is wary of Pakistan’s lackadaisical approach and incompetence to crack down on terror organisations that have flourished on their soil, an official from the MHA said.
“We have been told that Hafiz Saeed, chief of Jamaat-ud-Dawa the parent organisation of terror outfit Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT), has been kept under house arrest. Also, we have been told about the arrests of LeT’s second-in-command Zaki-ur-Rehman and top commander Zarrar Shah, both of whom had a direct hand in the Mumbai terror strike,” said the MHA official, requesting anonymity. "But we have not been told either the charges leveled against them or in which court they had been produced."
Moreover, there has been no confirmation of the identity of Hamad Amin Sadiq, who Pakistan claims was the main conspirator of the terror attack.
Pakistan has not heeded to India’s numerous requests to hand over some of the terrorists operating from their soil for prosecution. Neither has it taken concrete action against people like Saeed.
On many past occasions, Pakistan had sought evidence from India to prosecute Saeed and claimed to have put him under house arrest. But he has walked away scot-free each time, sources in the intelligence bureau said.
Pakistan had detained Saeed after India conveyed Saeed’s involvement with the 2001 Parliament attack, but he was later let off.
First Published: Mar 08, 2009 01:14 IST