Live updates: 2096 arrests in UP; Ayodhya chief priest says VHP yatra 'politically motivated'
Blanketed in a tight security cover, Ayodhya is facing major tiff between the VHP and UP government today. Enforcing the Uttar Pradesh government’s ban on the Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s (VHP) Chaurasi Kos Padyatra, the UP police has been cracking down on major VHP leaders since early in the morning.india Updated: Aug 25, 2013 20:35 IST
Blanketed in a tight security cover, Ayodhya is facing a major tiff between the VHP and UP government on Sunday. Enforcing the Uttar Pradesh government’s ban on the Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s (VHP) Chaurasi Kos Padyatra, the UP police has been cracking down on major VHP leaders since early in the morning.
Heavy security has been deployed throughout the city and at the airport and other entry points. However, despite the arrests of about 850 people by the UP government, a defiant VHP has reiterated that it will commence its foot march today.
We bring to you live updates from the city:
• Instead of providing security they (UP government) have arranged for teams to stop us, do they want war with us?: Ashok Singhal
• Lucknow police send Ashok Singhal to forest guest house in Nawabganj Bird Sanctury instead of Delhi.
• Singhal to stay under detention at the guest house till police decides next plan of action.
• Preventive arrests going on across the state: RK Vishwakarma, UP Inspector General (law & order)
• 150 VHP volunteers arrested at Mugalsari railway station, nearly 80 at Agra station and nearly 80 at Jhansi railway station: GRP officers.
• Some volunteers arrested from stations and others from trains.
• Senior VHP leader Ashok Singhal refuses to leave Lucknow airport.
• BJP state president Lakshmikant Bajpai in a press conference in Varanasi: Samajwadi Party leader and UP minister Azam Khan responsible for the 84 Kosi Yatra. If not in Ayodhya then then where else Hindus would take yatra out. Pakistan?
• If anyone tries to go against law, strict action will be taken against that person: Rajendra Chaudhary, Samajwadi Party spokesperson
• Won't let UP become another Gujarat, no place for communalism in the state: Rajendra Chaudhary
• VHP workers question arrest of Ashok Singhal, start demonstration at Lucknow airport. Raise pro-Hindutva and anti-Mulayam slogans.
• VHP spokesman sharad sharma informed country wide protest against govt action on ayodhya saints tomorrow.
Tomorrow we will hold protests against the insult that the saints/leaders had to bear: Vinod Bansal, VHP
• Tension at Lucknow airport between VHP activists and police. Tiff and verbal exchanges on as police pushes VHP workers back.
• VHP has no interest in Parikrama, they are interested in 2014 Elections, says Rashid Alvi.
• VHP leader Ashok Singhal arrested from Lucknow airport.
• Ashok Singhal detained at Lucknow airport, to be sent back to Delhi by 1:30pm flight: Lucknow police
• VHP leader Pravin Togadia arrested in Ayodhya.
• Ram Janmabhumi Nyas chief Nritya Gopal Das detained at Mani Ramdas Chaoni in Ayodhya. ADM city AK Chaurasia calls it a symbolic detention.
• Nitya Gopal Das says he would go to Mathura for Krishna Janmashtami pujan now.
• Pravin Togadia VHP leader in Ayodhya to court arrest.
• Ram Vilas Vedanti former BJP MP and member of VHP's Marg Darshak Mandal arrested from the banks of Saryu river.
• Ram Chandra Vidhayak, MLA from Rudauli arrested as well.
• Ashok Singhal expected at Lucknow airport at 9:30am.
*These reports could not be confirmed by Hindustan Times independently.