Pathankot man among four Indians ‘stuck’ in Kuwait for three years
Four Indian nationals, including a man from Punjab, who are stuck in Kuwait for the past three years, have made an appeal to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to help them return home.india Updated: Feb 17, 2016 12:46 IST
Four Indian nationals, including a man from Punjab, who are stuck in Kuwait for the past three years, have made an appeal to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to help them return home.
Their appeal to the Prime Minister has come after they were allegedly denied legal papers and got no support from the Indian embassy in Kuwait.
Savish Singh, who belongs to Bungal village in Punjab’s Pathankot district, told Hindustan Times over the phone that his cries for help have remained unheard so far. “We have sent messages to every minister concerned, including external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj, but to no avail,” Singh said.
He said he had got a job at a firm called Abdul Rehman Mohammad al Brothers and Sons, serving in the Middle East, in 2013 as a merchant navy sailor after he got a degree in engineering.
“While carrying oil on one of the trips in my first year there, our ship was caught by the Kuwait police for lack of proper documentation,” Singh said.
Police arrested him along with four of his colleagues and took away their documents. They were released from jail a month later but were barred from leaving the country.
“They didn’t even return our papers,” he claimed, adding that their repeated visits to the Indian embassy have not yielded any results.
First Published: Feb 17, 2016 12:46 IST