Police helped Pandher in court
In a report filed before a local court in August last year, the Noida Police had given a clean chit to Moninder Singh Pandher.india Updated: Feb 05, 2007 05:45 IST
In a report filed before a local court in August last year, the Noida Police had given a clean chit to Moninder Singh Pandher, the prime suspect in the Nithari serial killings case, in connection with the disappearance of one of the Nithari victims, Payal.
However, the documents attached with the report, prepared by the then Sub-Inspector and in-charge of the Nithari police post, reportedly had glaring flaws, raising doubts about the police's role in the matter.
Payal's father Nandlal had approached the Chief Judicial Magistrate's Court, complaining that the police was not registering an FIR over the disappearance of his daughter. He also sought an inquiry against Pandher. And it was only after the court instructed the police for a probe that the police filed the report in the last week of August 2006.
Interestingly, the report not only gave a clean chit to Pandher, but also said that the girl had eloped with somebody.
The report, dated August 30, 2006, stated that Pandher had gone to Chandigarh on May 5, 2006, for the last rites of his father. And the visit to Chandigarh was made around the same time Payal disappeared, the report said.
But three documents, including the death certificate of Moninder's father and the toll tax receipt, submitted to substantiate the police theory, contradict the findings of the report. While the report notes that Pandher rushed to Chandigarh on May 5, a copy of the death certificate submitted to the court mentions the date of death as May 8. Besides, the toll tax coupon did not carry the number of the vehicle. The police report also quoted Ramprasad, owner of the house where Nandlal lived in Noida, as saying that Payal had an affair with somebody and eloped. When approached by this reporter, Ramprasad said, "I was never contacted by the police in connection with any matter related to Payal."
Nithari families back Rathore
SSP R.K.S Rathore, transferred from Noida to Agra on Saturday following his indictment by a two-member inquiry panel of the UP government for shoddy investigations into the disappearance of persons from Nithari, has received support from an unexpected quarter — the families of Nithari victims. A delegation of 11 families from Nithari staged a demonstration outside UP Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav's house in Lucknow on Sunday, demanding that Rathore be brought back to Noida.
Back in Noida, some bereaving families carried out protests against Rathore's transfer on Sunday. In a memorandum to Mulayam, the victims' families said Rathore had been unnecessarily punished. They charged that no action had been taken against the police officers directly responsible for the serial killings. On his part, Mulayam assured the victims' families that the government would consider revocation of Rathore's transfer.
— With PTI input
First Published: Feb 05, 2007 05:45 IST