New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Sep 29, 2020-Tuesday



Select Country
Select city

'Sarabjit's skull was broken into two pieces'

About reports that certain vital organs had been removed from Sarabjit's body before it was sent to India, the doctor said: "We presume these were removed as standard procedure to send the viscera for examination".

india Updated: May 04, 2013 14:12 IST

The motive behind the attack on Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh in a Pakistani prison was to "kill him," a panel of doctors, which conducted the second autopsy, said on Friday.

"It was a clear case...the motive of attack (on Sarabjit) was to kill him," Dr HS Rai, Head of forensic science department, Government Medical College and Hospital in Amritsar, who led the five-member doctors' panel, said.

49-year-old Sarabjit's second post-mortem, after the first one done at Lahore in Pakistan, was conducted by the panel, which also comprised Sudhir Khichi (Head, Surgery), HS Sohal, (Head, Medicine), Amarjit Singh (Head, Pathology) and Veena Chatrath (Head, Anaesthesia).

Sarabjit's body bore multiple injuries, indicating that there were certainly more than two persons who attacked him inside the jail, the report said.

"The main motive was to kill the person. The face of the skull was completely smashed. Rather it was in two pieces. He died from massive head injuries," Gurjit Singh Mann, head of a medical panel of the Amritsar Medical College which conducted the second post-mortem examination after Sarabjit's body arrived in India, told media in Amritsar.

He said that the injuries on Sarabjit were inflicted with "heavy blunt weapons", including bricks.

Asked if only two people could have attacked Sarabjit, as maintained by the Pakistani authorities, Mann said: "There might be more than two people who attacked him. He was a well-built man."

Mann said the provisional findings of the medical board here suggested that Sarabjit died of head injuries.

"A single man cannot harm a healthy person like Sarabjit the way he received injuries...there were certainly more persons who attacked him," one of the doctors said, adding that the injuries were 6-7 days old.

Sarabjit's skull was broken into two pieces, jaw and bones were fractured and certain vital organs from the body were missing, the doctor said.

"Some parts, which are vital for conducting autopsy, were missing," he said, adding that they have sought the report of the first post-mortem conducted at Lahore to arrive at a clear conclusion on the circumstances leading to Sarabjit's death.

Among other organs, which were missing included the heart, gall bladder and kidneys, besides five ribs were fractured.

"The brain area was having a severe injury. The brain was missing and the injuries were caused by heavy blunt weapons," the doctor said.

However, no injuries were found to have been caused by sharp-edged weapons as some of the the wounds were stitched and the scalp was swollen, he said adding that there were at least 6 to 7 injuries on the head.

The real cause of death could only be known after the viscera report comes, doctors added.

Gurjit Singh Mann said that the Pakistani authorities had only sent a death certificate with Sarabjit's body.

"They have not sent any of the medical reports or course of treatment. No provisional findings of their post-mortem report have been sent. We are awaiting those to give our final conclusive report," said Mann.

About reports that certain organs like heart and kidneys had been removed from Sarabjit's body before it was sent to India, Mann said: "We presume that these were removed as standard procedure to send the viscera for examination. We will try to find the exact cause of death."

Mann said that there were inconsistencies in what the Pakistani authorities were saying about Sarabjit's cause of death.

The Pakistan government had claimed that Sarabjit was injured in a "scuffle" with two fellow prisoners and it was not a pre-meditated attack to kill him.

Sarabjit's family gave its go ahead for the second post-mortem examination after his body arrived in India Thursday evening. The family said they had no trust on the findings of the post-mortem examination done by the Pakistani medical board.

Sarabjit died in Lahore's Jinnah Hospital early Thursday following fatal injuries in an attack on him by fellow prisoners inside Lahore's Kot Lakhpat Jail April 26.

(With inputs from PTI, IANS)

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading