Some facts about Jana Gana Mana
Sept. 11, 1942: Jana Gana Mana played as the official national anthem in Germany in 1942, reveal India’s national archives. Satyen Mohapatra reports.Updated: Aug 15, 2008 23:26 IST
Sept. 11, 1942: Jana Gana Mana played as the official national anthem in Germany in 1942, reveal India’s national archives
*Jana Gana Mana was performed, not sung, as the official national anthem for the first time in Hamburg on September 11,1942.
* A document in the private collections of the National Archives says it was performed by the chamber orchestra of Radio Station Hamburg before an audience comprising Subhash Chandra Bose, Governor Kaufmann, Mayor Krogmann and prominent citizens of the city.
* Venue was Hotel Atlantic and the occasion, foundation of then Deutsch-Indische Gesellschaft (Indo-German Society).
* The document says: “Subhash Chandra Bose, who always attached importance to all spheres of India’s growing consciousness as a nation, has personally decided in favour of Jana Gana Mana as the national anthem.”
* “According to press reports, Jana Gana Mana was played for the first time before a larger public officially as the national anthem of Azad Hind,” it said.
* The function was addressed by Subhash Chandra Bose, Governor Kaufmann and Mayor Krogman.