Uttarakhand floods: Centre yet to pay compensation
With nearly two months having passed since floods and landslides ravaged several parts of Uttarakhand, the Centre is yet to pay its component of the compensation amount to families of victims.india Updated: Aug 08, 2013 22:34 IST
With nearly two months having passed since floods and landslides ravaged several parts of Uttarakhand, the Centre is yet to pay its component of the compensation amount to families of victims.
Out of the total pledged compensation of Rs 5 lakh to each family of flood victims, the Centre had to pay Rs 3.5 lakh while the Uttarakhand government’s share was Rs 1.5 lakh.
Due to this delay, sources said the Uttarakhand government has been forced to pay the entire amount of Rs 5 lakh compensation from its own resources. So far, the monetary relief has been distributed to more than 80% of families in the state.
A senior official also claimed that other states too have not distributed their part of the compensation yet.
Apart from the delayed compensation, the failure of state governments to issue death and missing certificates is also causing unrest among the victims’ families whose banking and insurance claims are held up due to it.
While the Uttarakhand government has initiated monetary relief for those missing who have been presumed to be dead.
The issue had also come up for discussion at the August 5 meeting of the union cabinet.
Accordingly, a cabinet sub-committee of three senior ministers was formed to take views of Congress legislators and opposition leaders and submit a report within a month.
However, sources said the union home ministry has so far not given any direction to states in this regard.
Uttarakhand chief minister Vijay Bahuguna has now requested the Centre to intervene in the matter and issue missing certificates for the benefit of their families.
First Published: Aug 08, 2013 21:38 IST