Lunar Eclipse 2021 Highlights: Super Blood Moon dazzles in reddish-orange
Super Blood Moon 2021: As Earth's shadow crept across the moon on Wednesday night, people around the world waited for a cosmic event known as a super blood moon. And as the eclipse deepened, it appeared as though half the moon had vanished. The other half looked fuzzy in the center with a bright outer edge, the last remnants of the glittering orb that had earlier risen above the horizon.
A super blood moon is when a full lunar eclipse coincides with a supermoon, which is when the moon is particularly close to Earth and appears brighter than normal. For about 15 minutes, as the moon moves fully into Earth's shadow, the moon will appear to turn red.
The eclipse began as the moon edged into the Earth's outer shadow, called the penumbra. The first total lunar eclipse of 2021 will take place on May 26. The full eclipse was due to take place between 2:17 pm as and 7:19 pm as per Indian Standard Timing (IST).
The eclipse will happen in the early morning hours of Wednesday in western North America, with people in Alaska and Hawaii getting the best views. It can also be seen in southern Chile and Argentina. Skygazers in all of Australia and New Zealand and parts of Southeast Asia can see the eclipse on Wednesday evening.
Follow all the updates here:
May 26, 2021 08:41 PM IST
When can we see the next Total Lunar Eclipse?
Like this one, the next total lunar eclipse -which is predicted to occur on May 16, 2022 - will also not be seen from the Indian subcontinent. However the lunar eclipse on November 8, 2022 will be visible from India.
May 26, 2021 07:56 PM IST
Full moon rises over Indonesia
The first total lunar eclipse in more than two years coincides with a supermoon this week for quite a cosmic show.
May 26, 2021 07:46 PM IST
California during the "Super Blood Moon" total eclipse
Stargazers across the Pacific Rim will cast their eyes skyward on Wednesday night to witness a rare "Super Blood Moon", as the heavens align to bring an extra-spectacular lunar eclipse. The first total lunar eclipse in two years will happen at the same time as the Moon is closest to Earth, in what astronomers say will be a once-in-a-decade show.
May 26, 2021 07:39 PM IST
Total Lunar Eclipse 2021 to be sighted from Port Blair, Puri, Malda in India
In India, the total lunar eclipse will be seen for 45 minutes from Port Blair which will be the longest time for anywhere in India. While Puri and Malda will also be able to see it from 6.21 pm but only for two minutes. The eclipse will also be visible for a very short time in the northeastern parts of Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
May 26, 2021 05:11 PM IST
Super Flower Moon rises in clear sky over Sydney Opera House
The year's biggest full moon, known as the Super Flower Moon, rose in a clear evening sky over the Sydney Opera House on Wednesday to the delight of amateur photographers positioned just across the water to capture the moment.
The moon was at the closest point to Earth in its orbit, making it appear about 7% larger and 15% brighter than normal. The May full moon is known as the Flower Moon as it occurs when spring flowers are in bloom.
This Super Flower Moon will also feature the first total lunar eclipse in more than two years, during which the moon will pass through the Earth's shadow. It will appear red, which is known as a blood moon, because light is scattered through the Earth's atmosphere, much like during a sunset.
The eclipse will be seen in Sydney when the moon is much higher in the sky.
Stargazers in all of Australia and in New Zealand and parts of Southeast Asia will be able to see the eclipse on Wednesday evening.
May 26, 2021 04:57 PM IST
Lunar eclipse today: Where to watch in India
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has said that the lunar eclipse will also be visible in the regions covering South America, North America, Asia, Australia, Antarctica, the Pacific Ocean and the Indian Ocean. Read here...
May 26, 2021 04:56 PM IST
Lunar eclipse today. These cities will be able to view the celestial event
People in West Bengal and Odisha have a slight probability of missing out on the eclipse as skies could remain overcast due to cyclone Yaas. Read here...
May 26, 2021 04:54 PM IST
Lunar eclipse, Supermoon and Blood Moon: All coming together on May 26
According to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) of the US, the total lunar eclipse would start at 4:47:39 am EDT. In India, it will be visible at around 2:17 pm and will end at 7:19 pm. Read here...
May 26, 2021 04:53 PM IST
Total lunar eclipse will turn moon red on Wednesday. All you need to know
This total lunar eclipse also marks the beginning of an 'almost tetrad' as it inaugurates the series of four big lunar eclipses in two years. Read here...
- In the video, Neha and Aisha lying on two inclined chairs by the beach, can be seen getting their hairs braided with colourful threads.
- On December 14, Italy had ruled that all EU visitors had to take a test before departure, amid concerns over the spread of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus.
- "Little bit of magic" from Goa – Courtesy, Neha Sharma.
- Manushi recently did paragliding and loved every bit of it. From watching the land from the sky to experiencing flying in its truest sense, Manushi's vacay diaries in Oman are setting major travel goals for us.
- While the video captured many moods of Randeep – from staring in awe at the setting sun to clicking pictures of birds, it also shared a major life lesson for us.
- Manushi Chhillar shared glimpses of her Oman holiday on Instagram today. The pictures show the star playing badminton, enjoying a cycling session, and more.
- Despite the omicron variant, Europe's ski resorts are fairly busy. Austria is seeing a disappointing season, but in Switzerland visitor numbers are exceeding pre-pandemic levels.
- Revenue was an estimated S$1.9 billion ($1.41 billion) in 2021, also one of the lowest on record. In comparison, Singapore had 19.1 million visitors and generated S$27.1 billion in 2019.
- Singaporeans can visit Batam and Bintan islands approximately 15 km (9.32 miles) and 30 km away respectively providing they are vaccinated against Covid-19, they undergo tests and have insurance coverage, authorities said.
- Samantha Ruth Prabhu is getting used to the scenic views of Switzerland during her holiday. She posted a picture of herself standing on her resort's balcony, dressed in a crop top and jeans.
- Ileana D'Cruz took to Instagram to share throwback pictures from her Maldives holiday. She served wanderlust overdose with the bikini-clad photos.
- On Sunday, Ali Fazal went on a short trip down the memory lane, and fished out a picture of himself standing by the ruins of Hegra and watching a stunning sunset.